E-tank question

EdP

I'm currently using lye bath for my CI cleaning and considering building an etank. Which works faster: etank or lye bath? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electrolysis. But you can't really leave it totally unattended like you can a lye bath.

Cleaning a pan with electro might take from a few to several hours, or may require multiple sessions of several hours. Since it only affects rust, it won't harm intact iron, so running it continuously for several days would technically not be a problem. But, since it involves electricity and is most prudently done outdoors due to the release of a small amount of hydrogen gas, it's not always practical to turn it on and just leave it run.

From my experience, running 10 amps at 12 volts your average pan with a little crusty seasoning and light rust will come out clean in about an hour or two. Your heavily rusted/pitted customers will want to stay in overnight, 8 to 10 hours, and might even need a second session after some manual scouring. You will find that some burnt on carbon will not release easily even after a day in the e-tank and you will have to manually chip it off, I us a hard plastic chopstick for such tasks, or a very gentle round edged spatula. Best of luck!

Back