Lodge Egg Logo with 3 notch heat ring ?

John S.

I have a Lodge #5, 3 notch heat ring skillet that I bought for 4 dollars along with some other CI pans. I know that it is not old but I was wondering when Lodge stopped putting notches on there heat rings because I don't see the notches on the pans that they currently have for sale? Thank You.

As soon as I can talk my Son-in-Law to stop over and show this Old Dog how to post some pictures on this computer contraption I'll show ya some pans that I have acquired. This stuff is addictive (collecting cast iron)

Oh and on a side note I seasoned a skillet in the oven @ 500 degrees using Pam the other day and I really smoked the kitchen up. The Wife was not impressed!!! How do you fellas get around this problem ? Maybe I should do it on the propane weber next time out side before the Wife bans me from the stove in the kitchen. I'm retired and I did it while the wife was at work but she picked up the smoke smell as soon as she came in the door the old gal has a good nose on her. Maybe I need to wait for her to have a head cold and cant smell too good before I try the pam seasoning deal again. The Skillet sure looked good when it was done. John S.

I don't know the answer to the Lodge question but I can help a little with the smoke problem. Try using an oil with a higher smoke point. Rapeseed or canola work well. You will still get some odor but not real smokey. Don't forget to turn on the vent over the stove.

Jack

I don't know the answer to the Lodge question but I can help a little with the smoke problem. Try using an oil with a higher smoke point. Rapeseed or canola work well. You will still get some odor but not real smokey. Don't forget to turn on the vent over the stove.

Jack

Thanks Jack where can a Man get Me some of that Rapeseed oil? And will it make the pans a dark color or will it just take some cooking in the pan to get that (too die for color) that I see on some of the pans you folks post pictures of ? This Old Goat is willing to learn from the best (That be you folks right here on the Cast Iron Collector Site) Thank You John S.:bow:

Rapeseed and canola are the same thing. I think grapeseed oil is what was being referred to; the refined version (check the label for it) has a 450°F smoke point.

Rapeseed is the same as canola. The name was changed for marketing reasons. It is not the same as grapeseed oil which has a smoke point of 421 F. However, grapeseed would probably be a good choice for seasoning also.

Yes, seasoning the pans will make them darker, as will continued use.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to read this sites section on cleaning and reseasoning pans. http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php

Jack

The notches were still there when the "egg logo" was added in 1987. When it and the other markings moved to a recessed circle in the center of the bottom in 1993, the notches went away.

Thank You Jack and Doug. This Old Boy is learning A wealth if information on this cast iron Collecting. What a Great site and folks that are willing to share and help a new fella out. I hope to be able to repay all of you sometime for all your help !! John S.

You don't need to repay us, just learn how to post pictures of your "finds". We all like to see the eye candy. Before and afters are the best.

Jack

Last edited:
Back