Birmingham Stove #8 Find

JoeS

So went to the antique store where I found my Griswold #5, and checked out the Wagner #8 I saw. Didn't have the Sidney marking, so not interested. However, I did see what I believe is a Birmingham Stove #8. Here is the picture.

I recognize the heat ring being unbroken, pour spouts on both sides, and the numbers with the abbreviated IN.

Once home I looked up to see what series it was. Looks like a 1950s Century.

From the pictures am I correct? I plan to visit another store tonight or tomorrow to see their Cast Iron. Saw a Griswold, but now cause of the site I know what I am looking for.

Attachments

• WP_20150728_001.jpg
    WP_20150728_001.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 70
  • WP_20150728_002.jpg
    WP_20150728_002.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 72
  • WP_20150728_003.jpg
    WP_20150728_003.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 78
That's what you have. Not terribly uncommon nor all that collectible, but a fine user if not damaged, nonetheless.

I like bsr and lodge,if weight isn't a concern,and cooking with cast iron is all about heat retention,I personally think Bsr is the best option and cheap,here at Houston easy to find for a couple dollars.

I like bsr and lodge,if weight isn't a concern,and cooking with cast iron is all about heat retention,I personally think Bsr is the best option and cheap,here at Houston easy to find for a couple dollars.

Yeah, I'm more building up my personal collection (got 3 free cast iron pieces as gifts, last day of work today moving on up) and I have a Griswold, adding Bsr, and like to find a Wagner.

The website has been very helpful in learning about cast iron collecting. Days before joining this website I went to an Antique store and saw a Griswold at another antique shop, and what I thought was a Bsr. However, I went back to that store, and saw it was not a Bsr, and the Griswold didn't have Erie on it.

This is really great forum enjoy reading everyone's post and soon when my collection is done, start collecting.

I agree with Edger Lopez. The Lodge is absolutely the best value out there. The thickness holds the heat better and the weight helps to hold it"s place on the stove. Some people get all in a fuss about the skillets being rough. I find they are all upset about nothing. The Lodge cooking surface is just rough enough to help hold seasoning and after a months use the skillet is usually smooth and stick proof. Don't worry about a Lodge's roughness, just use it. David

So interesting, another Bsr #8. As friends now know I collect cast iron, they bring theirs over. My friend (which got me started showed me his #8, but I notice this line. Is this a crack? I would look at mine (middle of a lye bath) but it's only on the outside, inside looks fine, and still gives a nice ring when I flick it with my finger.

Attachments

• WP_20150802_002.jpg
    WP_20150802_002.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 54
I believe that line is a crack, but not in the skillet. It's an impression from where the sand mold that the pan was cast in cracked and then slumped before the molten iron was poured into it.

Back