Scotch bowl

Bonnie Scott

I went back to the Antique Outpost in Phoenix and picked up some more CI. I finally found a scotch bowl and it is a big one. It's not clean yet but it will be soon.

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

I got this #9 too.

---------- Post added at 08:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

I had to make room for the new projects so I stocked the store at Armadillo.

Way to Go Bonnie !!! I also found a Nice #3 Griswold Scotch bole this past week but it is missing the tipping ring. Anybody know how it replace one and what kind of material one should use ? Thanks in advance.

P.S.
Bonnie I like that #9 Also It's getting harder to find the good stuff with all you Experts out and about, :biggrin:

Thanks John. I took a brillo to the Wagner 9 and oiled it, it's looking pretty sharp. I have to make some room in my vat before it can go swimming. The cooking surface is really nice. I found a mystery #10 for 12$. The handle tells me that there might be a Griswold hiding underneath. I hope.:roll:

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Here is a better picture of the number 9.
http://i.imgur.com/cBv14y6.jpg

I couldn't stand the mystery any longer so I took a stainless spatula and a wire brush out to the lye tank. I carefully scraped a chunk of the half inch crud off the bottom center of the pan and its a small logo Griswold. I love nasty 12$ pans! Not a bad price for a #10 Griswold. :eek: I will post pictures when it's clean.

Looks to be a run on scotch bowls here lately.

Nice score Bonnie. On your #9, that is not a cast crack is it? :covri:

I picked up a Griswold #3 scotch bowl. All ready C&S and hanging in the kitchen.

No it's not cracked. It sure looks like it's cracked in the picture though. I think I scored pretty well on this Phoenix trip, now I just hope people buy my pans from Armadillo so I can buy some more. Do you have any idea who made my scotch bowl?

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Finally something nice under the crud.
http://i.imgur.com/N5ifeYb.jpg

Thanks, Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. :icon_rofl:

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

John S, if it was my bowl I would replace the ring with a key ring. I'm cheap like that.

Thanks, Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. :icon_rofl:

Are you saying that you are a squirrel? Because if you are you are finding something, stay on the hunt.:icon_thumbsup:

That is good that the skillet is not cracked. I want to think that the cast iron cooled faster at that point. But I have been wrong before.

Hi Betsey, Not to speak for Bonnie But so many unnamed gate marked pieces are lost to to time so we may never know their history. What I have seen a lot of is the first pieces of some foundries had no names or marks of pieces, but later pieces had a few marks and then finally they were fully marked. So the only way to know some of the earlier pieces is to back track from the fully marked pieces to the partially marked pieces to know they were from the same foundries. I see this a lot with waffle irons.

I would welcome Bonnie's reply.

Hi Jeffrey, good to see you're still posting. I had forgotten all about that old Scotch bowl. I sold it long ago. That post was seven years ago. My how the time flies. Your answer to the post was accurate. If I recall correctly that scotch bowl had a nice smooth surface. It was a mystery pan. Congrats Betsey on finding a piece of history. I bet it would make a nice wok.

Woah, I just got four trophies because I posted. Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Speaking of chicken, I love that Szeged chicken rub Doug recommended. I've started hoarding it. It's getting harder to find.

Hi Bonnie, How have you been, you still seasoning iron in the desert sun not much sun here? Well I got four trophies first because I posted before you, only by a few days. So speaking of chicken, What is this Szeged chicken rub you speak of? Do you like coffee as in coffee rub with a kick. Most all my chicken gets the coffee rub under the skin and into the smoker. We do not drink hot coffee up here only ice coffee, so I have a taste for extra coffee flavor, coffee ice cream is good durning a snow storm.

Keep your eyes peeled I found a new bucket for the sand box, well it did come from a sand mold, eye candy. Just like your Scotch bowl, no name, but sometimes some history comes from within the piece itself.

We just got 3 inches of snow a couple of days ago. The lye tank is freezing. The chicken rub is a Hungarian spice blend. I found a copycat recipe on youtube and I am going to try recreating it myself. There is a store in town that sells bulk spices so I think I can make it cheaper if I figure out the right mix. Might be a fun experiment trying it. I've never rubbed a chicken with coffee. I like to drink it. I will keep my eyes open for your new eye candy.

I got the Szeged Chicken Rub a while back from Doug D's post. Use it on my whole chicken dropped into a 500-degree pre-heated Dutch oven. Maybe I should try that in my Scotch bowl ....

Back