E-Tank connections

DougH

So, in doing some reading and investigation into setting up an e-tank, I'm about ready to purchase some supplies and give it a go. One question I'm not sure of is the best way to attach the CI electrically. I've gathered that copper wire in the electrolyte solution is a bad idea (correct me if I'm wrong here, cause I have lots of scrap copper wire available).

What's the best or most convenient way to make the connection in the electrolyte to the CI, and the anode if it's not above the water line. I think I read somewhere that steel wire would do the job and not corrode if it's on the CI side of the circuit. Is that something my local big box hardware store would carry? Or should I plan on using sacrificial clips and just replacing when they get corroded? Are there other easy methods that you guys use and like?

Thanks!

When I first started out, I went overkill and used an electrical pipe grounding clamp to attach to the CI. It became quickly apparent that it was both inconvenient and unnecessary. Clamping the battery charger connector directly, and below the water line was also a recipe for trouble. I see where some people use S/S C-clamps and vise grips, and all other sorts of things rigged up, but I have found that if there's a good metal to metal connection, the same coat hanger wire I use to suspend the piece in the tank will pass sufficient current.

When I first started out, I went overkill and used an electrical pipe grounding clamp to attach to the CI. It became quickly apparent that it was both inconvenient and unnecessary. Clamping the battery charger connector directly, and below the water line was also a recipe for trouble. I see where some people use S/S C-clamps and vise grips, and all other sorts of things rigged up, but I have found that if there's a good metal to metal connection, the same coat hanger wire I use to suspend the piece in the tank will pass sufficient current.

Excellent, I like simple answers! Do you find that the weight of the CI piece is enough to make the connection? Or, do you need to twist it tightly (pliers kind of tight) around the handle or through a handle hole of the CI to make the connection?

I'm just hoping to avoid some of the fiddling around and get a head start on a good set up since many of you have done all the fiddling around before :)

If there's no paint on the hanger wire, and bare metal on the inside of the hang hole, it seems to work just fine just hanging.

Thanks, Doug! Hopefully in the next few weeks I can start working through some of that rusty pile I've got sitting at home :)

Get yourself some bailing wire, or rebar tie wire. It's got a million uses, and makes for handy disposable e-tank conductors.

Get yourself some bailing wire, or rebar tie wire. It's got a million uses, and makes for handy disposable e-tank conductors.

Good thoughts as well. Yesterday, I ordered a couple graphite plates and a manual battery charger. The battery charger I already own is an auto, so it was either buy another charger or buy a battery to put in the middle, so I opted for a charger so it'll be a simpler set up.

Anyway, I need to pick up a few more little pieces to complete the set up, but hopefully in the next week or two I can play with SCIENCE! :icon_thumbsup:

Doug D., you say that connecting the battery charger directly to the piece below the water line is a "recipe for trouble". That is exactly what I've been doing with the skillets that I clean-about 50 so far-with no problems so far. I'm now concerned about potential problems and was wondering if you could give more detail about what problems can occur with this procedure. Thanks.

Doug D., you say that connecting the battery charger directly to the piece below the water line is a "recipe for trouble". That is exactly what I've been doing with the skillets that I clean-about 50 so far-with no problems so far. I'm now concerned about potential problems and was wondering if you could give more detail about what problems can occur with this procedure. Thanks.

I'm with you Jody that's how I have been doing mine also. I'll be watching the reply. Oh I also ordered 2 of the carbon plates to use in my tank.

John, you're going to be glad you bought the plates. I went from using scrap steel, to graphite plates, and couldn't be happier. My plates are approximately 12" x 12" and about 3/4" thick. I think they clean more effectively, but more importantly, they don't ever need cleaned and seem to last forever. I've probably done around 35-40 skillets with mine with little to no sign of wear.
Back to the battery charger connections, I do connect above the water line on my anode. I cleaned one skillet with it connected below, and learned that the clamp corrodes pretty quickly. I recently added a second graphite plate to the opposite side of the tank using a "jumper" cable to connect the two plates (both clamps above water). I also bought a manual charger for $5 at an auction that allows me to use 2/10 amps (my old one was a 2/6 amp). This new setup blew me away. Works like a dream.

That might have been overstating it, but wet charger clamps will quickly corrode at the wire crimp connection within the handle, leading to increased resistance, heat, inefficiency, and eventual failure. Best practice is to keep them dry and make the CI to charger connection via some manner of jumper.

Thanks for the response Doug. Makes sense I guess, I just always worried that I wouldn't get a good enough connection without clamping directly to the piece. I did have to reconnect a clamp the other day, but it was on the positive side that has hardly ever been below the water line.

The clamps on my charger were already a bit rusty. While I hooked the anodes with jumpers, I hooked the other one directly on the CI, and it got de-rusted with the CI. I then swapped the clamps on the wires and de-rusted the other one.

The clamps on my charger were already a bit rusty. While I hooked the anodes with jumpers, I hooked the other one directly on the CI, and it got de-rusted with the CI. I then swapped the clamps on the wires and de-rusted the other one.
Brilliant!

I plan to make any connection under water out of something cheap to replace...but in your situation, that's using your head.

Thank You Jody for your response. The plates I ordered are 3/8" thick and I think they will do the trick. What size of container are all you folks using for your tanks? I have a 15" BSR skillet I purchased and I need a larger vessel for my tank I plan on using both of the plates in the tank so I need a larger unit for that Thanks again for all the great help. John S.

Thank You Jody for your response. The plates I ordered are 3/8" thick and I think they will do the trick. What size of container are all you folks using for your tanks? I have a 15" BSR skillet I purchased and I need a larger vessel for my tank I plan on using both of the plates in the tank so I need a larger unit for that Thanks again for all the great help. John S.
I'm planning to use one of the random storage tubs I have in my basement to get going with. But I'm planning to use an outdoor trash can if I ever have a larger piece...I'm assuming that would work fine, and chances are you already have one.

John, since I use my e-tank almost exclusively for skillets, I wanted something deep enough to hang them by the handle and have the handle under water. I use a plastic kitchen trash can that's roughly 24" tall and 12" x 18" . This setup will handle up to #10 skillets pretty well. When I've had bigger pieces, I use an 18 gallon storage tub. The problem with the tubs is that they aren't very deep, but I work around it as best I can by moving the piece several times.

I'm planning to use one of the random storage tubs I have in my basement to get going with. But I'm planning to use an outdoor trash can if I ever have a larger piece...I'm assuming that would work fine, and chances are you already have one.

I had my BSR wood stove in my 55 gal E-tank it came out just fine.

JeffreyR

JeffreyR

Jeffery (Jeff??),

How's the new NaOH e-tank working out for you? Any anode erosion? And what is your concentration (as I remember it was 8 Lbs / 55 gal). Also, how did the stove come out? I've got a new test cell coming online tomorrow, 26Ga (0.030") mild steel anodes, I'll let you know how it works after I find 5 or so new pieces to try.

Last edited:
Back