Painted #5 Skillet ?

John S.

Good Morning.

I have a question about a skillet that I purchased this morning. It is a #5 skillet with large pore spouts marked 5 on the top of the handle and that is all that can be made out so far and has been painted a Metallic Gold Paint (applied heavy) and I'd like to know how to strip the paint off. I have just put it in the Lye tank and I'm now wondering if I should of not put it in the electro instead ? I'm just Giddy and want to see what's underneath all that paint. Only gave $5 bucks for it and if nothing else the Wife can bonk me in the head with it when she finds out I bought another skillet.

On a second note I also spied a #9 Griswold Large block logo smooth bottom skillet that needs some cleaning up (but not bad) sets flat and no chips or cracks and the asking price on the tag was $33 dollars is that a fair price? I have a #9 wagner skillet but not a #9 Griswold skillet. The more the merrier Right? Thanks in advance John.

If the lye doesn't, the electro should.

When I see a piece marked $22 or $33, it tells me the seller has built some bartering room into the price and will take $20 or $30, if not less. A #9 LBL in VG condition for $25-30 is a good deal.

Thank you Doug !!! I think I'll try and see if I can barter on the price of the #9 Griswold skillet. The thing sat dead flat on a glass display case and no upward bow so I might just give him the asking price if he won't come down.

This cast iron deal now All I'll say is It' addictive. The wife thinks I need to start attending some meetings.:)

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Thank You John E. I'll check on the progress tomorrow and see how the lye is doing it's job.

This site is the BOMB I' really enjoy learning about the cast iron cookware and picking up some pieces to restore. However My Wallet is a tad bight lighter though.

Back