1930s BSR vs Lodge

DKruitz

Hi all:
I've picked up my 2nd cast iron piece last week, a 1930's Lodge #8 skillet, and did refinish on it. It wasn't nearly as gnarly as the BSR I bought in the past year. My first cooking with it was cornbread and it came right out with only the slightest amount of bread stuck to the pan. Am very happy with that.

I did notice though the pans are almost identical, that the BSR is heavier. I've seen notes online about pans getting thicker with automation and wondered if the BSR fell into that timeframe vs the Lodge?

Anyway, I'm very happy with both pans - BSR for cooking, Lodge for baking. :)

(Oh, and I used 3 or 4 canola seasonings on the Lodge and imho, it came out more non-stick than when I used the flax seed oil on the BSR.)

BSR switched to automation in about 1967.

The markings on the bottom should be able to identify if yours was made pre- or post-automation.

Eric, can you elaborate on your response that the markings on the bottom of a BSR piece indicate which are pre- and which are post-automation? Just learning here... Thanks!

Donna

The pre-automation pieces just had a size number and pattern ID, such as "8 G". Some earlier ones appear to be hand-written.

After automation, they started including an abbreviation of number, such as "NO. 8". And they started including measurements, such as "10 5/8 IN." Also, a couple of years after the switch to automation, they started adding "MADE IN USA" across the top of the back, though that was driven by other reasons.

There is a degree of inconsistency to their markings post-automation, but those are pretty good general rules, from a markings perspective. There are some other identifying characteristics in certain cases.

You can read more here:
http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Birmingham_Stove_and_Range

And this forum's main site has a section on identifying BSR on this page:
http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php

DK, I have a couple of BSR's and they both have wonderful cooking surfaces to cook or bake. Although both found have a little bow I don't worry about using them now on the grill or hot to sear a steak. In my opinion they are top notch for what you can buy them for. It always nice to have a least one heavy/thick skillet with the older smooth bottom.

I think my two may of once been in a home with the older electric stove burner. As to maybe why they have a bit of a bow?

The line between markings and automation is actually not that well-defined. Many pieces with markings like 8A are clearly the product of automated molding, with thicker walls and small pour spouts. The old style markings appear to have lasted well into the Century era (1954) and at least the early part of automation (1966-67 on). The pre-automation pieces have larger pour spouts, thinner walls, and markings crudely incised and irregularly placed.

I'm certain my BSR is the pre-automation based on my original research when I got it. I just was commenting at the difference in weight between the two. I'm happy with them both, and definitely will keep an eye out for more pieces! :) The best values are these unmarked ones, as the antique shops seem to know about Griswold and that's about it.

And I'm one who is in the vegetable oil camp for seasoning, since it appeared to actually work better than the flax seed oil which seems to be in favor.

Last edited:
One of the shops I regularly stop in on my way home has a BSR #5 that is light as a feather and super smooth. It's been there for months and I consider buying it every time I'm there, but they want $19.50 for it. Seems a little high ... although it it is in brand new condition. I'm thinking it is Red Mountain series based on the markings and the weight.

It's at an antique mall, so the seller isn't there. Most they will do is 10% off

Leave a note with the cashier with item #, offer, and phone number. Sometimes that works or they can call both holder from the desk and ask for you. That works at times.

Back