Hello from SC

FR Henry

I have just joined your forum and have a small amount of cast iron cookware. I recently came by a Dutch Oven without a cover that I am trying to Identify. I am told that it is possibly made by BSR but only has markings of size and made in USA. No manufacturer's ID. I don't think it is very old because it has machine markings (Turns) over the entire inside, bottom, but would like to make positive ID and date.

A photo would make for quick ID, but I would agree it sounds like BSR from what you have already described. Size number and diameter at 6 o'clock and "Made In USA" at 12 o'clock would be BSR. A size number at 12 o'clock, with "DO" just below, and "Made In USA" on separate lines at center would be Lodge. "Made In USA" in either case would indicate early 1960s. Does it have a pour spout?

Doug, I have photos on my computer desktop. Can you brief me as to how to go about attaching them to this page? Thanks

Below the post composition window there is a tab marked Upload Attachment. You can browse to the file on your computer and add it to a post. The forum software limits the size of attached files, so it may need to be downsized first.

Below are the photos I mentioned. Thanks

Attachments

• HPIM1559.JPG
    HPIM1559.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 2
  • HPIM1560.JPG
    HPIM1560.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 6
FR Henry said:
Thanks Doug. Do you have any comments regarding the machine pattern inside?
The practice of machine polishing cooking surfaces was common through most of the 20th century, even for some period of time after the introduction of automated molding machines. Lodge, the only remaining domestic producer, appears to have eliminated this step some time after the 1960s.

This particular dutch oven can be confusing.As Doug says it is the later Century series when the numbers were changed.This # 8 is the size of the earlier # 7. The earlier Century # 8 was marked ten and five eights inches.I have this same oven you have plus the older version.The nice thing about BSR if you find a lid for the DO it will fit a skillet of the same #.

I overlooked that difference in the fraction. This would tend to suggest it was made even later, as, when they went to the "Lady Bess" series, they downsized the pans to fit outsourced glass covers. Although the LB pieces usually have descriptions, e.g. "SKILLET", on them as well.

Back