Need Help Identifying Skillet with Gate Mark

JRhoads

Hey everyone! I am new here and was hoping someone might be able to help me ID the tag shaped maker's mark on this piece. I saw this at a thrift store and the gate mark caught my attention. It is a really cool find and I would love to know more about it! Thanks for any help you are able to give me!

http://imgur.com/gallery/kYr8NyA

that appears to be an official 'Southern Mystery Skillet'... often known by the initials: SMS.
the inset heat ring, small pour spouts, handle with triangle attachment pad, raised size on top of the handle... sometimes they are gate marked sometimes not and sometimes have markings and sometimes don't. no one knows who, where or when these were made. but whoever made them seemed to make a lot of them as they are quite common in the south and mid-west. believed to have been made in the south (since that is where they are most commonly found).

Lol, thanks D_Madden! I figured I wasn't likely to figure out a maker unless the tag shaped molders mark was identifiable. It is going straight into my collection as my first gate marked piece of iron. Cheers!

Back