Dilluting Lye Bath

Should be fine already then. My tank busted (15 gallons of water with 5lb of lye and 1lb of sludge) and it didn't stain concrete or kill any grass.

I'd still cut it 4 or 5 to 1 with water, just to be on the safe side. You could wind up damaging trees or shrubs that like living in acidic soil.

Just out of curiosity, how and where was your lye bath set up, what was the container made of, and how did it bust open? Such knowledge might prove very useful when it comes time for a collector to add, replace or upgrade their lye tank.

I'd still cut it 4 or 5 to 1 with water, just to be on the safe side. You could wind up damaging trees or shrubs that like living in acidic soil.

Just out of curiosity, how and where was your lye bath set up, what was the container made of, and how did it bust open? Such knowledge might prove very useful when it comes time for a collector to add, replace or upgrade their lye tank.

I have two 20 gallon plastic storage totes, each with 15 gallons of water. I shoved one too many pieces in one and a handle cracked through the side. It was the newest of the two, completely due to being greedy. My original one has been in use for almost 2 years now, and as long as I don't puncture it manually I don't see any issues!

Got it! When I set mine up I stacked two 10 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck totes, one inside the other just in case the inner one failed due to wear & tear from sliding iron around in it in order to make room for more iron. My biggest fear is punch-through from a camp oven. Fortunately I don't lye bath many of those. The inner tote sits high enough over the outer one I figure the lye level would drop about an inch in the event of a leak. I'm almost always teetering at having iron stick out the lye so it'll be obvious if the inner tote fails. I stuck with 10 gallon totes so I can move pans around inside it without lye solution over-topping my gloves.

Back