Newb in Texas with a BSR ID question

DKruitz

Hi everyone, I had been looking to get (collecting?) a cast iron pan for a while and just bought what I think is a BSR 8G7 (ID'd by handle, ring and #markings) for $14 at a local antique shop. I've got experience using electrolysis on my other rusty gold projects so I'm good there, but can't find a good page to help ID the pan further. Or is there a way to ID it further? I can't determine the difference between the two lines they had over the years - were they different in name only?

I'll post a photo shortly. It's good and dirty with lots of carbon to come off of it, and it'll go in the tank tonight.

Ah thank-you, I had read that a while back but for some reason my memory thought the Century series changes were the post 1960's changes.
Very cool - I like old - am not worried about value, but age is interesting. :)

I'm in New Braunfels between San Antonio and Austin. THanks for the link.

The electrolysis did not seem to remove much - hard time getting a good electrical connection too. Oven cleaner has 80% of it clean, except for the seriously caked on stuff!

It's getting there. :)

D
Work with the electrolysis. Is the soap/water solution thick enough, are you making good connections with the pan and anode, try changing the amperage (2 vs 10). When its working it is a beautiful thing.

Jack

I'll give the electrolysis another try tonight - I think I just wasn't getting enough of an electrical contact with it. I've got about 90% of the carbon off it and I can just make out the machining marks on the cook surface.

D
Sounds like you got it working. Sometime the really baked on carbon is almost impossible to remove without resorting to 320 grit wet or dry sand paper.

Good luck with it.

Jack

D
I neglected to include the warning that you should use the sandpaper only on the polished cooking surfaces.

Jack

Dan
Yes, the inside wall of the Red Mountain series were ground smooth. That's going to be a very nice pan when you get through with it.

I'm trying to put together a complete set of Red Mountain pans and it is a formidable task. But I'm really having fun with it.

Happy hunting,

Jack

Dan
Yes, the inside wall of the Red Mountain series were ground smooth. That's going to be a very nice pan when you get through with it.

I'm trying to put together a complete set of Red Mountain pans and it is a formidable task. But I'm really having fun with it.

Happy hunting,

Jack

I finally got the last of the carbon off - the worst of it was on the outside edges. It's very smooth and clean, and I've currently got a few coats of organic flax oil baked onto it. A couple more coats and it'll be ready to try out. I think it's interesting how it blackens, but with depth like a translucent finish. Pics coming soon.

Back