ID help

Jay E.

I picked up this nifty little skillet at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago for $7. It was pretty well covered with gunk, so I had no idea what I was really getting, but guessed it might be a Wagner. There was also a #3 marked Wagner Sidney-O for $5 that I got from the same sale (and I could barely see the marking through the crud on that one), so that contributed to me thinking this one might be its mate.

It is virtually unmarked. The underside of the handle has some Wagner qualities to my eye, but the "scooped out" area around the hole has a BSR quality too. I don't really think it's either of those for the record. It has nice large pour spouts and is on the order of a small size 5. It is slightly smaller than Lodge #5 and noticeably smaller than Wagner #5... which kinda makes me think it's not Wagner... unmarked or otherwise.

I say "virtually unmarked" because there is a faint hint of a marking on top of the handle. At first I thought it was a cursive "g"... but then maybe it's a strange script "5"... I hope the pic shows it well enough for someone to recognize it.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 43
The profile and handle on the top shot feels rather Lodgeish, but nothing on the bottom supports that. I've also not seen that "g" or "5" before. Interesting piece!

Don't know who made it, but the symbol on top of the handle looks like a 3 to me which sort of makes sense (to me) since you stated this skillet was smaller than some other 5s.

The marking does look a little like "3", but the skillet is a lot bigger than any 3 I've seen. It's bigger than the only 4 I have- Griswold LBL. One other thing I forgot to add was that the handle is relatively small... about an inch shorter than Lodge or Wagner size 5 skillets. It is a really nice little piece with a very smooth surface. That's only one coat of seasoning on it.

Back