Identifying Dutch Oven

Angie C.

We found a rusty Dutch oven in the basement of my husband's late grandmother's house, when helping clean and prepare her house for sale. We are trying to identify the maker or any information about it, just for our own information. We plan to keep it and use it, and remember her every time we do.

Going to try at attach a few pictures from my Flickr album.

This first shows the handle shape and raised number on the lid:

This shows the dimples inside the lid, which are what first led me to believe it might be Birmingham Stove and Range.

This shows the handle attachments and the inside:

This last shows the bottom of the pot, with the only mark being a 7 with an underline mark. Someone thought that might indicate Vollrath as the maker, though I haven't been able to find much online about Vollrath.

I have lots more pictures, including before, during, and after restoration, from different angles. I can attach more, if there is something in particular that would be helpful for identification.

What you have there appears to be a fairly early BSR. The high dome lid is not often seen. BSR lids subsequent to this one did not have the size mark raised but rather incised and still placed roughly under the handle. The Vollrath suggestion comes from someone looking at unmarked Vollrath skillets which had a small size number either underlined or with a dot or dots and trying to make a connection. The positioning and crudeness of the bottom size mark is also consistent with early BSR.

Thanks for your quick response! I've been so baffled by the differences between my lid and most other BSR lids I've seen. Any recommendations for books or resources (online or otherwise) where I could learn more?

So very thankful that I found your website and forum. I've learned a great deal already!

There are no collector guides covering BSR, but most of their products can be identified by unique characteristics. The handle on yours is the old two-piece style, which was later replaced by a tapered one-piece.

There are no collector guides covering BSR, but most of their products can be identified by unique characteristics. The handle on yours is the old two-piece style, which was later replaced by a tapered one-piece.

I haven't seen any mention of a two-piece style anywhere. Any idea how old that would make it? I haven't seen any references to this on any of the cast iron identification sites I've visited. I'm so glad to get some answers!

I would guess 1920s or slightly earlier to 1930s at the latest. The "two piece" refers to how the pattern had a handle consisting of two hinged halves which could swing open and retract from the mold when the pattern was removed. If you look closely at the apex of this type of handle, you will typically see what looks like a crack or a line.

Back