Anyone Got Any Thoughts on This Unusual Lid?

D_Madden

https://imgur.com/gallery/smgpo4w

I'll get some measurements, but it seems about the size of #8... but no markings, griswold like drip rings, the odd section under the handle on top and of course the single spout cover and squared off section on the end of the spout cover. I feel like I've seen a griswold lid with the odd section under the handle... and I've seen lids that only have a single spout cover like the nuydea dutch oven lid... but of course those are pretty unique in other aspects of their design.
anyone?

Quite likely. The reason the handle looks more amateurish is that they apparently had to cut the handle area out of the lid they used to base their pattern on. Patterns with loop handles have to have some way to extract them from the sand mold without disturbing the surrounding sand. In this case, the handle and the rough area underneath it were probably a precast piece that stayed in the mold when the rest of the pattern was removed, and became part of the casting when the molten iron was poured.

other than the odd section under the handle it seems to be fairly well cast and finished... any thoughts as to what it was intended to sit on?

Back