Just 2 Kettles

Jeffrey R.

A break in the snow so we hit the road, 160 mile round trip. We have been to this antique store around 3 times, every time it has been closed. This time, lucky. The owner's son was there. He said that his mother has had some health issues, that is why it has been closed a lot. So a lot of rust and dust. Took me about 8 minutes to dig this out of a piled corner, along with 2 more kettles.

So here are the 2 kettles.

First thought, is they looked much like a Griswold Safety Kettle with the 2 handles and also round bottom and small legs.

Mine do not have the wood handles, and has 4 legs. I think that the Griswold has 3 legs.
Markings on the bottom, #8 N, on the larger kettle #10 only. Both are gate marked. It does look like that there would have been some type of locking cover, see photo 6.

Maybe another maker lost to history. Still eye candy. Your thoughts?

7 Photos to the right.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114772661409714296598/JeffreyR#6117229406898256546

Those are 2 beautiful kettles. Good hunting! I can't help you in identifying them, but I think the key is in the shape of the bail holder loop on each side. I've seen that style loop on a lid. Right now, racking my brain to try to remember where. As I remember, few molders used a tapered lid lifter loop. I did a quick search on Ebay, and this fellow in Burlington, Vermont is listing one similar to yours. There may have been a small foundry in your neck of the woods that produced these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-8-C...743?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f9381517

Last edited:
Those are 2 beautiful kettles. Good hunting! I can't help you in identifying them, but I think the key is in the shape of the bail holder loop on each side. I've seen that style loop on a lid. Right now, racking my brain to try to remember where. As I remember, few molders used a tapered lid lifter loop. I did a quick search on Ebay, and this fellow in Burlington, Vermont is listing one similar to yours. There may have been a small foundry in your neck of the woods that produced these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-8-C...743?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f9381517

Good eyes Glen, Thank you. The antique shop that I picked both kettles from, told me that they have had them for years and that they came from a very old farm homestead in town. Like I said I had to dig for them, they were buried.

Not willing to try, myself.

I tried to take one off to season another kettle, not good. I now need to make a new handle.

That is a shame. I have been thinking about how to change the handles and worried that might happen. I got my shiny new handles in the mail today. :( Is that one of those smokeless pans?

I go around to estate sales looking for various things. Besides CI, one of which is an amount of "clothesline" wire. Around my parts, in the 40s/50s, before the advent of clothes dryers, it was all done outside. Some round, carousel types, some just lines between T posts. The old "clothesline" wire is the same gauge as the handle wire on most pots. My dad replaced several wire bails of pots with it.

Back