Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 12-31-2017, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Question About Cleaning Burnt Food Residue.

Make sure you keep enough of a layer of fat in the pan while you're cooking. Also, clean in out as soon as you finish cooking something, while the skillet is still hot (be careful obviously). Add a teaspoon of coarse salt, a bit of oil if the pan is dry at all, and scrub the salt around using a paper towel folded several times. Then just wipe all the crud and extra oil out in the trash.

If that doesn't work, just start over. Strip it and make sure to build at least 2 or 3 layers of manual seasoning to start it off.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2017, 08:40 PM

Use the spatula to scrape off stubborn food residue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Legrand View Post
]It just looked so beautiful when I first got it.
The seasoning changes over time. It's a continual process, not a one time end result.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:53 PM

Thanks guys I think I will strip it tomorrow and re season. I understand that the seasoning is a gradual process and the appearance will change with time. I've fried and deep fried in my dutch oven for a few months now and it looks great.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:44 PM

Just stripped will post pictures soon. Looks and feels great now that scraped off the gunk with steel wool.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:30 PM

For the past few hours I've been wiping and buffing a light coating of Crisco into the pan and putting it in the oven at 350. I followed the guide on this site for the initial seasoning and so every 30-45 minutes I add another light coat and wipe off any excess. It already seems quite a bit more black. The pan looks quite bare in the old photos I posted compared to now.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:37 AM

Legrand, you're holding out on us - where are the pics? Don't be disappointed if it doesn't turn out black after forever-seasoning. I've got a couple that are a beautiful bronze... I got myself a full TM Vollrath No.8 for Christmas. I was so happy after unpacking it, that it went immediately into the e-tank. After a little detail work, it was ready for seasoning. I heated it up and it came out of the oven dark grey. First seasoning with PAM was coppery bronze. After another coat, I used Crisco, and out went the copper. To make a long story short, it's been cooking whenever possible, but after breakfast, it gets wiped down and tossed in the oven for an hour at 350 - 450, and it's still bronze, but getting darker. I'm almost at the point of ending my experiments with different seasonings, looking for that one fail-safe method that'll get the pans black every time, and I've two products left to go - the cast iron "toothpaste" sold at sporting goods stores and Walmart, and olive oil...hmm...should I go with classic or extra virgin?...
Old 01-13-2018, 07:38 PM

I am very sorry for not posting pictures or updating my post since a little while. I have so many things to show you guys! I am trying to find a good way to link the photographs because I don't think I can upload them here directly. My #6 griswold came out pretty nice but I burned tortillas in it again and the residue just won't come off so I won't fret about it. Now get this, I ended up browsing some ads on the internet in my area and saw a griswold #10 & #5 skillets included in a lot with 4 other taiwans. It was posted 8 days before and I was crossing my fingers that nobody had bought it. I ended up paying 150 canadian dollars for all 6 pans. These pans were from an old lady nearby and I finally know what well seasoned pan looks like. The #10 is absolutely beautiful and it's quite large which is exactly what I wanted. Food will not stick to it as easily as my freshly reset #6 and I understand what you guys were saying now. It takes a while to build that up. I try screencap for the photos tonight.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Ok here is the number 10 surface http://x-v.it/a4oxi7

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Here is my budding Griswold collection: http://x-v.it/hnvfl4

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Bottom of #10 which I haven't even tried to scrub with steel wool. It has a bunch of built up oil and residue from cooking on there. The grandson of the lady who owned these pans said they were used for decades and well taken care of.

http://x-v.it/nfq8xc

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Potatoes I cooked in the #10 last night. I thought I died and went to heaven.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------[/SIZE]

http://x-v.it/sa2r9z

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------[/SIZE]

The first photo I took of the #10 surface was taken post potato after I cleaned, dried, heated and oiled the skillet.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------[/SIZE]

I just saw an Ebay ad for the same #10 pan fully restored and the winning bid was 500 CAD or 398 USD. I'm not selling mine though. I want to use it. The pan I have is a 716 C and it's small block logo with Erie, PA and No 10 at the top just like my #6 previously posted. Here is the Ebay ad for reference it was for a 716B but I'm not sure what the difference is if there is one.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/372186838280?ul_noapp=true

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------[/SIZE]

I forgot to mention the pan has zero wobble whatsoever on the glass stove top.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------[/SIZE]

I also bought a 11 inch vintage Findlay skillet made nearby in Canada for 35 bucks. It has a very slight wobble though but entirely usable. Buying it made me appreciate that much more how the large #10 Griswold is perfectly flat.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------[/SIZE]

And Roland I would go with the classic but I have no idea what I'm talking about so take it for what it's worth haha.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:13 PM

I'm a new collector (addict) and have been aggressively building a rather large collection.
Everything I get goes to the lye tank for awhile, then the etank. After a good scrubbing with soap and water, into the oven raising temp from 200f to 475 over about 45 minutes for the initial cook off.
Cool to handling temp (300f +-), Apply very light layer crisco, back into oven at 450 for 90 minutes.
Two coats of initial seasoning has turned everything but the nickel plated items consistently black with a nice smooth feel. The user pans are getting better every use as far as nonstick goes, but the black color is holding very well on even the stuff I'll prob never actually cook with.
Just my $.02