Finally a way to "show" my C.I.

Lloyd B

I picked up my first "Iron Mountain" #7 yesterday and I realized that my "mountain of iron" needed somewhere to hang. I needed something to view and use my iron but I didn't want to waste any of my iron funds on anything. So, I cut apart a few wooden pallets, and used the wood to build a three piece display for almost 1/2 of my iron. I'll try to keep the fully marked pieces on this one once they are all through the restoration process but filled in the gaps with whatever would fit for now, finished or not. I made it in three sections so that it can be moved easily and used screws to hold the pieces so that they can be moved or adjusted as needed. I need one more pallet to complete a second one!
No automatic alt text available.

Wall%201_zpswytuzf05.jpg

So on the pieces that are hanging "handle down", did you use 2 screws, 1 under each spout ? I assume the others, "handle up", hang on just 1 screw, through the handle ?

Looks good, however you did it.....:smile:

So on the pieces that are hanging "handle down", did you use 2 screws, 1 under each spout ? I assume the others, "handle up", hang on just 1 screw, through the handle ?

Looks good, however you did it.....:smile:

Yes, that way each marking is right side up. Some have been placed there to simply mark the space for another piece that is in the lye bath.

Lloyd I really like the look of old skids. It gives that rustic look that complements the iron. You may have a idea how to incorporate that even bigger :mrgreen:

Lloyd I really like the look of old skids. It gives that rustic look that complements the iron. You may have a idea how to incorporate that even bigger :mrgreen:

I really wanted to use old "barn" wood but people want crazy money and the pallets are free!

Lloyd I know exactly what what you are talking about with the old barn wood. Crazy money even back in the day. In the mid 1980's me and a buddy where getting almost a dollar a foot for old barn wood in Chicago. We lived 90 miles away in small town USA. We get had to labor some to get it and rent a U-haul to deliver it.

Very nice repurpose on the pallets. Been thinking of doing something similar for the few pieces I have, but just haven't convinced myself to do it yet.

Well Lloyd, I got all the old barn wood that you might want. Unfortunately, I'm in North Carolina and you are in Florida. You may have given me some ideas, though ! :sleepy2:

Hey Nick_N are you in Eastern or Western NC. I live in North East (Plymouth) most of my collection has been hauled across the state line from Virginia. I worked in Richmond and that's where I started. I'm working in Hampton Roads now and hunt that area.

Hey Nick_N are you in Eastern or Western NC. I live in North East (Plymouth) most of my collection has been hauled across the state line from Virginia. I worked in Richmond and that's where I started. I'm working in Hampton Roads now and hunt that area.

I'm in northeastern NC. John H Kerr Reservoir, near where I-85 crosses the NC/VA line...just not as East as you. Most of my stuff (not really much) is through family.. I haven't really been out searching, too much, but we got a tremendous flea market at the NC State Fair Grounds. Only 40 miles, so I should give it a shot, l suppose. Again, I'm pretty new to this CI stuff.... Oh, we come through Plymouth several times during the summer, on the way to the coast.....

The rough wood would be bear to stain. I'd leave it natural. Good contrast with the dark iron as well.

I stained some pallet wood and it did not go as planned ...

What I learned is, the wood stains darker than the "picture" of the color on the can. In my case, the wood was made of pine. Pine seems to be one of the ones that really absorbs the stain and therefore stains dark. I thought I was staining the wood to match our floors. They are a very light color of brown. The color on the can looked the same. It wasn't even close.

The wall I needed to put it on is white. It is across from the kitchen, which is green. I decided to paint the stained wood the same light green as the kitchen. It was another waste of time and money. My wife didn't think it would look good and wouldn't let me hang it up. Ugh.

The original plan was to sand and stain but I like the rough look of the wood as is so I decided to leave it rough! I'm working on another one so we'll see if I can try something different with it.

And, I had to build a second one and it's performing as the waiting line for the lye tank. I've finally gotten everything either hung, stacked or in the lye. Bottom left is a #8 Iron Mountain Series DO I purchased today too.....

0212171819_zpsdu8ij9ki.jpg

Back