BSA Camping Award

CPorter

Found this Griswold this weekend and tried googling some information on it and came up with nothing. Apparently it was given to a boy scout after a certain amount of days of camping. The label inside is a plastic decal and is firmly attached and the pan is unused.
I am debating on trying to clean it a bit or leave it as is, I'm leaning toward as is. Has anyone seen one of these before or have any information about how many were issued and are they collectible or have value beyond just a cast iron pan. I also was wondering what the 1 on the handle indicates. I don't think I will ever come across another like it so I bought it for 23 dollars.

Attachments

• DSCN1865.jpg
    DSCN1865.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN1866.jpg
    DSCN1866.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN1868.jpg
    DSCN1868.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 30
I wouldn't mess with it. The skillet cleaned and without the label on it is only a $10-$20 skillet, completely unused may fetch more. But the fact that it has a BSA label on it makes it especially cool. It looks like that patch may be specific to a branch in Minnesota? Could be worth something to someone there. There is some collector value in BSA stuff. Cool piece for sure.

And gives more insight on the dating of the "medium block" or "late large TM" logo. It appears it existed more years than just at the very end of Erie production before Randall/Wagner took over.

The 1 is a type of pattern identifier. Small pieces are sometimes cast as multiples from a single iron pour, and in that case, the 1 would be a gang mold number. On this piece, the #3 skillet being popular, it might have been a way to extend pattern letters, e.g. multiple "A" patterns made with different numbers to make each unique.

Most interesting in dating the late, large TM as Doug also stated. There were a number of pieces using this TM, mostly casserole dishes that I am not familier with as well as square and chef's skillets.

Thanks for the info, but I don't see the importance in dating? Is there some question as to when the medium blocks were produced? I'm still kinda new to collecting so please fill me in.

The thinking has always been the medium block logo was something Griswold planned to replace the small block logo with, and had only begun using it on a few pieces when they were bought out by the company that owned Wagner in 1957. Your piece would appear to show that the #3 medium block skillets had been made since at least 1955 or slightly before, assuming the award was made in a timely fashion.

Back