Hidden crack

After dilping this pan in the electrolysis tank my fears were confirmed. The barely noticable blemish in the seasoning turned out to be a crack. Such a beautiful griddle now gets put to rest. But....... my good friend is a talented welder and my be able to make it a user again. Whats it gonna hurt i suppose?

Gate marked griddle https://imgur.com/gallery/M9eAZ

Using it wont make it worse? Id love to cook on it as my everyday breakfast user! I love the unknown history that comes with those really old pans! To imagine it being used in a log cabin on the old wood stove is awesome. Peiple around here didnt have much back at the turn of the 20th century and cherished these pans. Oh how it mustve been nice to live back then when things were taken care of and not so easily discarded. But thats a toic for another day i suppose.

Cracks can propagate in most materials even if you don’t use them. They can propagate even faster in use. If you like the griddle and want to use it, what will you lose? I say use it. If what you are cooking is leaking through the griddle, then you may want to find a different use for it.

Normally I'd never use a piece with a crack so close to the handle but If that were mine I'd probably make an exception in this case. It looks like the heat ring stopped the crack, and there's a lot of extra iron on thebottom where the handle meets the rest of the griddle. Since it won't be holding lots of heavy liquid like a skillet can, I think it's still useable. Keep an eye on the crack, though.

I've been cooking on a couple of cracked users somewhat regularly for nearly a year and the cracks haven't gotten any worse. One's a bottom gated #3 scotch bowl with a 2 inch crack in the side. I'll never trust it with soup but I love way bread bakes in it. I also have a #8 skillet with one that's a little past a pour spout, opposite side of the handle. It stops just short of going from the side to the bottom and got sealed in by seasoning after just a few uses. I've reheated turkey noodle soup in it a few times. No leaks.

Ty, if there are any adjustments re time and temperature you make when baking bread in your Scotch bowl, I'd like to hear about them. (You could put them under Cooking in CI so we don't hijack this thread.)

Donna,

Most of my bread recipes I cook in the Scotch Bowl were originally skillet or DO recipes in the first place so I didn't have to change anything, other than having to use foil when the recipe calls for a lid since I don't have a lid that fits this bowl. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions or would like links to the recipes I use the most.

Donna,

Most of my bread recipes I cook in the Scotch Bowl were originally skillet or DO recipes in the first place so I didn't have to change anything, other than having to use foil when the recipe calls for a lid since I don't have a lid that fits this bowl. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions or would like links to the recipes I use the most.

Sent a pm, Ty...

After dilping this pan in the electrolysis tank my fears were confirmed. The barely noticable blemish in the seasoning turned out to be a crack. Such a beautiful griddle now gets put to rest. But....... my good friend is a talented welder and my be able to make it a user again. Whats it gonna hurt i suppose?

Gate marked griddle https://imgur.com/gallery/M9eAZ

Robert, I have a griddle and a skillet almost identical to yours. A couple of months ago, I found the skillet in a flea market, then a week later I found the griddle in a junk store about 75 miles away. I paid a lot more for the griddle than I wanted to but when I saw it, I had to have it. By chance, do you know any history about it?

2017-01-22 16.47.21.jpg

2017-01-22 16.48.15.jpg

2017-01-22 17.12.17.jpg

Back