Advertising skillet, but disappointing result

SpurgeonH

I bought this one because; 1. I liked the slogan on the skillet., and 2. It was only $2, so I figured it was worth a chance.

I knew it was in bad shape, but I was hoping the slogan, etc on the bottom would turn out good enough to make an interesting wall hanger.

Unfortunately, I got a little aggressive with the steel brush while trying to get a stain off of it and almost rubbed the last few words of the slogan right off of the skillet. Oops.

fd1kpYr.jpg

Ytyi0GB.jpg

Edit: FYI - I have never heard of "NGEMC", but I'm assuming it means, "North Georgia Electric Membership Corp (or maybe Co-Op?)"

Bet you were hoping it turned out like this one? This piece was gifted to me by a very close friend and it was cleaned and seasoned when I got it. It's at the top middle of my display rack and no chance I will ever let go of it. Some of the larger advertising skillets are hard to find so if you do come across one I suggest keeping it like I will.
http://imgur.com/1xOn9Xj

Holy moly! How did that get out to Texas?! Ha! That's what I would have liked to have, but I knew this one was extremely pitted. The handle looked like a dog had been chewing on it and the sides were deeply cratered. I was hoping the slogan would stand out though.

It had some really stubborn black stains on it. Neither the e-tank nor the lye bucket seemed to make much of dint in them. I tried soaking it for 30 minutes at a time in the vinegar solution, too.

I think the letters would have turned out better if I had given up on the stains and not scrubbed them so hard with the steel brush.

Congrats on yours. It's a really cool piece.

Those are really neat. What size are they?
If I did collect it would be the advertising type but as in a decoration

Back