Is This a Lodge DO?

MikeL

It has the markings of a Lodge and the lid is definitely a Lodge, but I've never seen one with a heat ring.

2017-03-23 15.32.09.jpg 2017-03-23 15.33.33.jpg 2017-03-23 15.33.24.jpg

The bottoms of pans and lids give more clues to their origins than do the tops, which is why they're always requested when asking for IDs. Top of lid looks like Lodge. Some Lodge DOs have heat rings, sometimes notched.

Picture #3 is the bottom of the pan.

The lid is definitely a lodge, it looks just like picture #24 from the No-Name examples and it has a 10 1/2 and an 8 on the bottom.

Are the ones with no notch heat rings older?

Thanks for your help.

The 8s and 9s I see with HRs typically have the early 1950s markings. 10s and 12s are seen with markings as late as the period marked DO and Made In USA.

I've never seen a Lodge DO with an outside heat ring. Doesn't have the assist tab on the top edge either. It looks deep in your second picture more like a flat bottom kettle than a dutch oven.

Last edited:
I think I will go back and look at it today. Is $30 too much? It was in very good condition, no cracks or pits.

It would be a bargain in the Seattle area, especially with a good lid... Don't know about your area though.

I went back this morning and picked it up, mainly because it's a little unusual. After some research (couldn't find much) I'm convinced it's a lodge DO. On the bottom above the 8, is what looks like a R and maybe a U or O then 26. Anyone know what the letters and numbers mean? The lid has 10 1/4 over 8.

2017-03-25 18.07.13.jpg

2017-03-25 18.09.31.jpg

2017-03-25 18.11.50.jpg

Thanks for setting me straight guys.

One more question if I may. The Letters on a dutch oven would be DO, Skillet SK, and Flat bottom kettle FBK. What do the letters on mine stand for? There are only 2 letters that I can see and I'm almost positive the first is R and the second is U or O and there's not room for a third before the 26.

Those markings serve some other purpose. Designations like DO and SK did not come into use until around the late 1950s.

Back