Milled Skillet on Ebay

BMBerzins

Hello,
This is my first time to this forum and I was encouraged to visit here after approaching a seller on Ebay who has "re-milled" a skillet. I have been collecting/cleaning CI for over 20 years and I had suggested he use a less intrusive method of cleaning his skillets. His response was, "Please let me inform you that cast iron is indestructible and can be machine and season over again and again. Please you need to look at THE CAST IRON COLLECTOR web site and you might just learn something." I was just curious if his method of "cleaning" is one you folks recommend? Thanks for any answers in advance. I have included the link to this auction,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11200809058...9191e8f107e&bu=43201412992&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

Yeah, I've seen that one. The seller's statements are pure fabrication. If you look around the site, you'll see that collector approved methods are that which are recommended. Maybe it's him that needs to look at the site and learn something. :rolleyes:

Thanks, that is what I was trying to tell the seller. That no collector would encourage this method. Oh well, another piece of history destroyed.

The swirls look like he just hit it hard with a wire wheel, not an actual milling. Even looks like most of the original polish grinding marks are still visible. A few months of use might cover up the swirls. Could still be a good user. But not for $170.

It does look like the original marks were there. I bet that a good dip in lye and it would have come out great.

True. Wonder if some hand sanding with wet-dry would take out the swirls and leave the factory marks. But, again, not for $170 to find out.

Agreed, I might try for 40 bucks, but given that it is a post 60s Wagner piece, I am not sure I would go that high.

$170 for a fubar 12 skillet? My largest is a 10 Lodge and I think I felt guilt paying $7 for it. Came out good, but its post '60.

Ok the first sign of trouble(at least for me) was when he called a post 1960's Wagner Vintage...if he spends soooo much time on Cast Iron Collectors he would know that this piece is NOT vintage. When I see Made in the USA I jump for joy because it is likely high quality but it is not considered vintage. There's the first red flag. Second he or she said cast iron is indestructible. That statement is 100% hogwash. I have seen cast iron literally break. My thoughts on broken cast iron is that it's lived a good life. Move on. I believe in RESTORING cast iron. Which to me doesn't include playing Dr Frankenstein. Remilling if you are experienced i suppose its ok...but to me that piece is crap.Just my opinion

Back