Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 06-15-2015, 05:15 PM

Default Calling all Canadians

And Americans with Canadian cast iron... If you have any old Canadian cast items, I would appreciate detailed pictures and such for the markings. Trying to document and date, so far been successful but only scratching the surface.

If this isn't ok Doug, please remove.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2015, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Calling all Canadians

Fairly uncommon to rare lid. Just need the skillet to complete. Those are not too hard of find.

Image Image
Old 06-15-2015, 06:29 PM

It's amazing how one picture can fill in so many blanks. I'm making a list of McClary X markings, your X618 filled in 2 blanks for lids.

I'm yet to lay eyes on a drip top spider lid, you're right, there's lots of spiders around. If my homework is correct, that should go with the number 9 X617.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:34 PM

Glad to help. Found it's way to the foothills of the Smokies where I spotted it. I knew it was not common. At least to me. Only found one picture of one on a skillet that Steve Stephens posted. It was not his though, and I no idea who's it was? Very nice iron.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Glad to help. Found it's way to the foothills of the Smokies where I spotted it. I knew it was not common. At least to me. Only found one picture of one on a skillet that Steve Stephens posted. It was not his though, and I no idea who's it was? Very nice iron.
Drip top dutch oven lids don't fit the skillets. Tried my number 8 lid on the X615 no 8 spider, the lid is too big.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:14 PM

This one does not fit any of my #9 skillets. Too small. Too big for #8's, too. Its sized somewhere in between.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:20 PM

Whoa…

I figured there had to be a cover for the McClary skillet No. X617 I have or why would it be called a "Drip Top".

There's a Canadian CI group on Facebook that RickC mentioned a few months back. I inquired there about a cover but got no response. This is a small group just starting out, with no databases and I've referenced this site to them a few times for technical info.

I've been meaning to write again, offering to trade a McClary No. 9 trivet, #X591 towards a cover.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
Whoa…

I figured there had to be a cover for the McClary skillet No. X617 I have or why would it be called a "Drip Top".

There's a Canadian CI group on Facebook that RickC mentioned a few months back. I inquired there about a cover but got no response. This is a small group just starting out, with no databases and I've referenced this site to them a few times for technical info.

I've been meaning to write again, offering to trade a McClary No. 9 trivet, #X591 towards a cover.
Well, if you have a specific drip top spider, the next X number up is the lid for it. That one pic taught me alot tonite

Any more surprises? Please?!?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:45 PM

On the Mcclary skillets you will see variations in the handles. One will have a shorter spine on the handle back, and the other longer, much like a vollrath, with the spine going to the eye. Which variation is older and would be correct timeline match for my lid?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:54 PM

Can you post the diameter of the outer ring for me please? I'll see if I can find anything out... AFAIK, handles aside, the X617 should be what you're looking for, skillets should be the same sizes. I know McClary retooled some of their stuff.

Evidence shows that McClary started to brand themselves "McClary's" in the 1920's, before the GSW merger.