Graphite Plates or Stainless Steel?

JBPoole

A number of years ago, I used a small e-tank with cookie sheets and had good results. I have a pile of CI yet to be restored.

Now I want to build a much larger e-tank with anodes on four sides.

I'm interested in either graphite plates or maybe stainless steel. What would you guys recommend? Please include typical pricing and best sources.

Thanks!

I purchased graphite plates off eBay several years ago, and was happier with them over any metallic anode I had used previously. For two 12" x 17" x 3/8" it was around $36 shipped. They can be found there and on Amazon, but it's hit or miss as to what dimensions and thicknesses you'll find at any given time. Most sellers seem to be offering from lots of remaindered stock from other purposes, and when they're gone, they're gone.

I purchased a stack of S.S. plates 36 x 6 x 1/4 from a local scrap yard a couple years ago at scrap prices.
I will never run out.

I'll add to Doug D's comment on graphite sheet. I have a relatively small tank and when I started I tried using different scrap sheet steel pieces and got really irritated quickly with how fast they would 'gum up' and stop working... necessitating removal and scraping or scrubbing. I bought some random lot of EDM scrap graphite sheet off of ebay and have been using the pieces ever since... no real cleaning of the anodes ever. I typically only use two pieces, a front and back with the piece to be cleaned between them and I remove them when I'm done and hang them to 'dry out' outside the tank... but it is a much more enjoyable process now than it was before. and you don't have to explain how you aren't producing any toxic chemicals with your tank like you do when you mention 'stainless steel' to some people.

I vote for Stainless Steel Barrel. Works for me Still. Clean it once a year.

-26 last week and it is still working out in the barn.:icon_thumbsup:

Back