Stovetop Seasoning?

StephenH

A few here have mentioned that they apply a coat of oil to the skillet then heat it until it smokes. A question: how long do you keep the heat on the skillet after it starts to smoke?

thanks

The way I do it is like this: Its only for what I call " touch up " seasoning.... I heat the skillet for roughly 10 to 15 mins on the stove top until it smokes for a few mins, then I turn the heat off, put in some bacon grease, wipe it around inside and out, then wipe off the excess with a clean dry cloth. This seems to work for me, but others on here will probably have other methods to try.

You mean in lieu of oven seasoning or as maintenance each time after cleaning it? If the latter, there is no need to do that; really you're better off not doing that as you risk damage to the seasoning and/or the skillet itself. After cleaning and drying just do a short exposure to low heat to help dry any residual moisture.

You mean in lieu of oven seasoning or as maintenance each time after cleaning it? If the latter, there is no need to do that; really you're better off not doing that as you risk damage to the seasoning and/or the skillet itself. After cleaning and drying just do a short exposure to low heat to help dry any residual moisture.

Oh, OK, guess I misunderstood the context when people mentioned doing this.

Back