Weird blackness - going nuts

JudyKonopka

Hi, I'm stumped why this happens:

I have a very old griddle with a gate mark that is in gorgeous condition I got at a flea market which was a tiny bit rusty, but very evenly seasoned. I took it home, took some steel wool to it, and washed it with vinegar and then soap and water. Once dried, there was no blackness or dirt on the cast iron.

I did put a film of crisco on it and heated it (not really seasoned it), and the towel was black, like there was a lot of dirt coming off the pan!! Again, I rinsed it off and wiped it down without any film (dirt) coming off the griddle. Then, I fried up some bacon and cleaned the griddle so when I wiped it down with a paper towel, nothing came off. But again, when I rub a little crisco on the pan, the towel comes out black. (eeek, I ate the bacon too before.:eek:).

I've done this for 3 days and am going insane. What's going on?

Judy, have you read the instructions on the home page for cleaning and seasoning? It sounds like you are leaving out some steps. Oh by the way, welcome.

There's often a misconception, mostly promoted by uninformed sellers, that the build up of seasoning on pans as found is something of value to be preserved.

Judy, have you read the instructions on the home page for cleaning and seasoning? It sounds like you are leaving out some steps. Oh by the way, welcome.

Thank you Bonnie!:) If it is smooth and well seasoned, I didn't feel a need to strip it down. I did read a lot of the posts, but based on your comment, I must be missing something. Are you suggesting that I skip the stripping and just re-season it in the oven?

Thanks. Nice to be here.

Judy, I am obsessed with cleaning skillets so I would never suggest that. If you choose not to strip it completely I would suggest that you properly season it in the oven before using it. If it was me, I would start my seasoning with a bare metal pan.

Judy, I am obsessed with cleaning skillets so I would never suggest that. If you choose not to strip it completely I would suggest that you properly season it in the oven before using it. If it was me, I would start my seasoning with a bare metal pan.

I think you'll find that this is a popular opinion around here. Even if it looks nice, you just never know what process someone else followed before you bought it. The only way to know for sure is to strip it to bare iron and start it yourself.

Thank you Bonnie!:) If it is smooth and well seasoned, I didn't feel a need to strip it down. I did read a lot of the posts, but based on your comment, I must be missing something. Are you suggesting that I skip the stripping and just re-season it in the oven?

Thanks. Nice to be here.

Thats your choice.
But if you want the results you spoke of. Your missing a step or two.
The other poster are correct. I ran into the same thing with an old lodge skillet it drove me nuts.
It sounds like you have to strip it down to bare grey iron
Sometimes carbon and black rust remain on the surface of cast iron
Did you strip your griddle with easy off or a lye tank?

Hang in there?
With all the great help here you'll get there?

There's often a misconception, mostly promoted by uninformed sellers, that the build up of seasoning on pans as found is something of value to be preserved.

A skillet found in my Mother's kitchen, to me it's to be preserved because I know it's history. Flea market find, "Look how well seasoned it is, it will be a great cooker!! $40" Psshhh... I don't know what's been in there.. Could have been used as a chamber pot for all I know. :eek: I'm stripping it. Inside & outside.

There is not one piece of cast iron that comes into my hands that does not end up in my lye tank in the first 12 hours home. It does not matter how well seasoned it is.

Try this for size. So you purchase a great looking griddle that is seasoned and so smooth. So you go cook a meal of grass feed beef steaks for the family, then start getting these funny faces from members of the family. Why does this steak taste like fish? Because the last owner only used it to fry his fish on it for the last 20 years. Eat up, or strip it your call.

Back