Slight Wobbles, Yay or Nay?

Some pans wobble because they were warped by maltreatment. Some pans wobble because they were made that way. Some pans wobble when they're hot, but don't when they're not. My preference is none of these scenarios, although the last one is hard to know before purchasing.

I will not purchase a common-average pan with a wobble. I will purchase a pan with a slight wobble if it has other characteristics that I like such as Older Gate Marked pans, Uncommon sizes or brands that I don’t have, and cheap.

Im more of a user/collector, with the using being the most important. I hold onto a skillet with one hand while stirring, so a wobble or a spinner isnt that big of a deal to me.

If it's a 90+ year old #9 skillet or larger, I'll be more forgiving of a slight wobble. I have a couple big-eared Wagners from 1915~1920 like that. If I fold a sheet of paper in half and put it under part of the heat ring, I can completely eliminate any rocking. For all I know they left the foundry that way. The pans are otherwise in immaculate condition.

I'm a user, not a collector. A wobbler I'll probably pass on. On the other hand, if I find a spinner, I'll use my 6 inch metal rule to see how much of a gap there is in the center of the skillet. With a spinner, the oil will flow to the center when you lift up the burger or steak, and that works for me.

I'm a user, not a collector. A wobbler I'll probably pass on. On the other hand, if I find a spinner, I'll use my 6 inch metal rule to see how much of a gap there is in the center of the skillet. With a spinner, the oil will flow to the center when you lift up the burger or steak, and that works for me.

What is the difference between a wobble and a spinner, thought they were the same.

Most times I've seen a wobbler, the center of the piece is high, AND, the outer edge is the piece doesn't sit flat on a flat surface. Whereas, with a spinner, the center of the piece is lower than the rest of the bottom and will spin on that center point...and oil will settle to the center.

Depends on the piece. If its something I like, a slight wobble or spinner doesn't stop me from buying it. Everyone has their own priorities.

Back