New to me CI.

Ten days ago I bought my first piece of vintage cast iron at a local antique store. As I had never dealt with old iron, I picked up the cleanest, most-ready-to-use looking piece.

32306618241_e66725ed21_c.jpg

All she needed was a good washing. A quick rubdown and then she went into the stove to start her seasoning.

32507584755_d4eab78df5_c.jpg

32507599885_300191f255_c.jpg

As our encounter was unplanned, I didn't have much on me and could only bring home this single pan. She had some cousins that I had to leave behind.

This past weekend I went back to rescue them. Like her, they are all SBL Griswolds.

before
32499100026_1500e4c946_c.jpg

after
32233260080_c806ed43cc_c.jpg

I went from having no vintage CI to being the owner of four fine Griswolds in the span of a week and a half. These should tide me over for a while.

I do want to pick up a couple more though. A no. 9 skillet (PN 609) and no. 10 pan (PN 716) added to this bunch should more than cover my needs.

Hmmm...I wonder if I should go back and pick up that LBL no. 3?

Christian nice group of skillets you have going. If the price was good on the number 3 I would pick it up. I have recently decided to go in the direction large logo on my users. I had not long ago picked up slant #8 and want to add a few more of those.

If you haven't stumbled on to this part of the site yet I'll add a link to Griswold TM info for you.
http://www.castironcollector.com/griswoldtm.php

Steve

Thanks for that link Steve. I've actually read it. I think I've read all the educational stuff on this site. I've spent a good bit of the past week reading as much as I can about cast iron.

The LBL no. 3 was tagged at $18, but I think I can get it for $15. Doubt the shop owner is willing to go any lower. He's a strange one. He has a fair bit of iron, so he knows there is value there. But, he seems to know little about the various brands. He has his stuff priced by size. The two 704s I picked up were priced the same as a Martin and assorted unbranded pans, all sized 8. Odd.

Back