Fancy handle griddle

MikeZ

I found this griddle in an antiques shop here in Maine. The handle struck me as having the same look as that on a Victor Odorless skillet. When I got it home I found that it's a close match, other than the Victor handle is tubular (for want of a better word) and straight and this one has a concave bottom and is curved. I've got several early griddles, but this one is my new favorite. Well worth $15, I think.

I don't suppose anyone has any thoughts as to a maker?

MXwBrXY.jpg

4CYkjyH.jpg

MikeZ....I've seen that handle on another piece but can't recall where. It could have been in CIC revisited or in the CIC patent data base files. Thought at first it may have been a G.F.F. out of St. Louis or Crescent Fd'y also out of St. Louis but so far no match. There were several patent designs regarding handle improvements but again I didn't find anything so far. Lots of patent's to pull up just for handle comparison. Sometimes research is the most difficult thing to find an answer to. If/when I find something I will let you know.

MikeZ....I've seen that handle on another piece but can't recall where. It could have been in CIC revisited or in the CIC patent data base files. Thought at first it may have been a G.F.F. out of St. Louis or Crescent Fd'y also out of St. Louis but so far no match. There were several patent designs regarding handle improvements but again I didn't find anything so far. Lots of patent's to pull up just for handle comparison. Sometimes research is the most difficult thing to find an answer to. If/when I find something I will let you know.

It could have been mine. I have one . MIkeZ i really like that piece.

http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4481

You're probably correct Scott. My visual memory is good but data memory is lacking. I'm also thinking I saw one on another site but there again can't recall which one.

Mike and Scott, thanks for the input. I also posted my question on the Iron Works Facebook page, as they deal mainly with hundred + year old pieces. The thought from that end is it may be from the E.F. Co., which has the same handle style and patent date as the Victor. I've asked there for any pictures.
I'm working on a small project on this style handle and patent date, and should have my thesis ready by the end of the week.

I'm out of business for a few days as I'm losing my laptop.

Mike Z, I looked for the Iron Works Facebook page and all I got was a gym and a tattoo parlor. :icon_scratchchin: Care to share a link?

Bonnie, thanks for the lead. Yes, I would take Scott Price's word for it. He's the site administrator (correct term?) for the IronWorks Facebook page I mentioned earlier. Both his site that you referenced and Steve Stephen's blog, Early Cast Iron Skillets have a wealth of info on handle types. I didn't think to look in those two places before starting this thread. Now to find some info on the Ellis Foundry...

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Back