Griswold Waffle Iron

Found this piece at a little church thrift store. Wish I had taken "before" photos. It was so corroded with years of built up seasoning and gunk...could not even see the lettering. After a week in the lye tank....then another week in the tub and re-seasoning....Turned out great. Toughest piece I have ever restored.

Attachments

• IMG_1876.jpg
    IMG_1876.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1877.jpg
    IMG_1877.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1878.jpg
    IMG_1878.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
It sure turned out nice. Good job. :icon_thumbsup: I have one in the lye tank that should be ready to come out tomorrow.

Nice job, Just picked up my first waffle iron a couple weeks ago. I really like the tall bases better than the low ones. I did get the fancy handle though. So there's that... :-| Haven't cleaned this one up yet. Hope it turns out as nice as yours. :icon_thumbsup:

Waffle-01,medium.1431414283.jpg

This took quite a chunk out of my day but I got it finished. Here is my Griswold waffle iron, it was really cruddy also.

Nice Iron Bonnie! I have that exact model and it produces the best waffles I've ever had. Even has a little of the Japanning left on the base. If you want to try something different and amazing: Fold your buttermilk waffle halves around a fried egg, fried tomato slices, and some sliced cheese for the ultimate breakfast sandwich....

This took quite a chunk out of my day but I got it finished. Here is my Griswold waffle iron, it was really cruddy also.

Nice!! Mine's not all that cruddy, but I have other priorities... Last time I made a waffle I was maybe 15..??! So almost 30 years ago. I have some Genuine Maple Syrup from Jeffrey R. so maybe I should get to work cleaning mine up. :)

Very nice. Here is one that I did for a friend that runs a local antique shop. She has an old gas stove with stove eyes that she uses to cook on.

DSCN2532.JPG

DSCN2533.JPG

DSCN2534.JPG

DSCN2535.JPG

Last edited:
I picked mine up at a local antique shop, maybe even the same shop. ShawnE, would you mind sharing what shop around here has such well cared for iron for sale?

Nice job Shawn, I went downtown yesterday and was lucky to meet the couple who runs the booth that I buy most of my iron from. I talked him into selling me a Alfred Anderson, heart shaped, minus the base for 35.00 that's my next waffle project.

This post is making me anxious to get my Wagner waffle iron restored. My biggest problem right now with it is getting one of the wooden handles unscrewed. One came off ok, but the other doesn't want to yet. I haven't tried any penetrating oil on it yet, so I've still got things to try...maybe that'll move up on my priority list.

ShawnE, my heart shaped waffle iron came with handles that don't seem to be a good fit. From what I can see in the Red Book I don't believe they are the original handles. I was going to try getting a dowel from home depot and making a better fitting handle. I see yours is lacking the handles also. Are you using dowels to replace them?

I had the same problem Doug. One of the handles was hard to unscrew. But after working it for a while it did come off. Was also difficult to get back on after restoring it.

I had the same problem Doug. One of the handles was hard to unscrew. But after working it for a while it did come off. Was also difficult to get back on after restoring it.

The screw for the one I did get loose was all rusty and nasty looking...so I'm not surprised. But that should clean up in the e-tank along with everything else. I'm hopeful that some penetrating oil and time will be enough to work the second one loose.

Back