Martin Skillet

MDFraley

I've had a Martin Stove & Range skillet cover for about a year and earlier this month a close friend of mine secured the skillet and gifted it to me. Yesterday I cleaned and seasoned that skillet along with two of the pieces I acquired on a recent road trip of which I posted a couple days ago. I really like how that Martin looks with it's natural cover now. Kind of like a marriage that needed to happen.
The WW Fat Free Fryer has it's mill marks still visible and looks as though it was never used to cook in. Some small areas of darkness where rust had started but it will even out after a few more season trips to the oven. The BSR 3 S cleaned up very nicely also and will soon end up with its new owner.
I'm still using Grape Seed Oil and loving how it produces such a nice patina.
http://imgur.com/a/njqXp
Thanks in advance for any comments.

Nice work Michael, I really like that Martin, it sure seasoned up nicely. I switched to grape seed oil a while back myself and I am very pleased with the results. I'm still curious about that crusty #5.

Very nice. How heavily built are Martins compared to other vintage brands? I know where there is an encrusted #8 nearby. I've been thinking of picking it up, but I know less than nothing about Martin.

Sorry Eric that I haven't responded sooner. My methods are probably not the same as most CIC members but there again they work well for me. I pre-heat my oven to 350 and use an old terrycloth wash cloth (white) to apply my coat of Grape Seed oil. I do all my pieces at the same time using the same cloth. I prefer the spray can version (100% No Propellants) because it's less messy and can be sprayed into those hard to get to places on certain pieces of CI. I have a second cloth that I use to remove as much as possible of excess oil and bake in the oven for an hour or sometimes two. I will raise the temperature to 415 degrees around the mid point of seasoning. During that period I will remove a piece at a time and use the first cloth that has more oil than the second one and again use the second cloth to remove any excess. When the end time has been reached I will take the first cloth again and put a smooth coat of oil on the pieces and use the second cloth after about 10 minutes of cool down to make sure no pooling has taken place. Sounds like a lengthy process but it has worked very well for me and I tend to stick with something that does just that.

Very nice. How heavily built are Martins compared to other vintage brands? I know where there is an encrusted #8 nearby. I've been thinking of picking it up, but I know less than nothing about Martin.

Christian, I'd encourage you to get the Martin. I have a Martin #7 which was one of my users for 20 years before I "got into" iron, and still gets an occasional use. It's heavy iron, comparable to BSR or Lodge. Just check to confirm it's not a spinner.

Here's a little info for you: http://www.castironcollector.com/martin.php

Good luck,
Steve

Back