Local find: Griswold #3 thru #10 collection

EdP

Griswold #3 thru #10 & three Martins #3,#5,#8

I found a local collection of small logo Griswold #3 thru #10 collection of skillets. From the picture, they seem to look ok. $400 asking. The same seller has a collection of 3 Martin cast iron skillets sizes 3,5,8 good condition asking $100. Your thoughts?

Attachments

• griswold-collection.jpg
    griswold-collection.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 87
  • martin-skillets.jpg
    martin-skillets.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 74
Do all the TMs match? I'm guessing from the variety of handle styles they don't. Even if not, the price isn't totally unreasonable. If they're all flat, not cracked, not pitted, that is.

What kind of Griswolds - Iron Mountain, LBL, LSL or small logo? Do they all sit flat, any pitting, chips or cracks? Cleaned and seasoned?

Lots of things go into value so its not fair to comment without knowing a little more about each pan. However, if they are all perfect that is a fair price IMO.

Jack

Jack,
The eight skillet set averages $50 per piece. Unless they are absolute type skillets (LBL, Slant lettering, etc. etc.) I would think you can find all of these in the wild for cheaper than the asking price and have fun doing it. If one is looking for a "ready-made set" it may be fair to say it isn't such a bad deal.
Martins average about $34 each but I see the small on is a "Monday Morning" skillet and just because it is one might be expected to pay more than $34 so could be the Martins are worth the $.
Anyway...That's my thought on them but others may have different opinions.
Good luck....
MD

Do all the TMs match? I'm guessing from the variety of handle styles they don't. Even if not, the price isn't totally unreasonable. If they're all flat, not cracked, not pitted, that is.

They appear to be. They are are "small logo" Griswolds. I haven't seen them yet, but, they don't appear cracked, but not certain of it and same for being flat. Will try to look at them over the weekend.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

What kind of Griswolds - Iron Mountain, LBL, LSL or small logo? Do they all sit flat, any pitting, chips or cracks? Cleaned and seasoned?

Lots of things go into value so its not fair to comment without knowing a little more about each pan. However, if they are all perfect that is a fair price IMO.

Jack

They are all "small logo" Griswolds. As I stated to DougD, not certain of cracks and flatness. They are being sold as is, i.e. no seasoning and one is a little rusty, nothing heavy, what seems to be in pic just powdery rust. One has minor pinhole pitting on bottom, but still serviceable.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Jack,
The eight skillet set averages $50 per piece. Unless they are absolute type skillets (LBL, Slant lettering, etc. etc.) I would think you can find all of these in the wild for cheaper than the asking price and have fun doing it. If one is looking for a "ready-made set" it may be fair to say it isn't such a bad deal.
Martins average about $34 each but I see the small on is a "Monday Morning" skillet and just because it is one might be expected to pay more than $34 so could be the Martins are worth the $.
Anyway...That's my thought on them but others may have different opinions.
Good luck....
MD

They are all "small logo" Griswolds. Yea, 8 x $50 is about top $$$ in my area, coming from experience. Yea, those Martins seem to be a good buy too. One big caveat - STORAGE SPACE. I am at the point of designing some kind of wooden storage box for my garage. :O

Buying a full set would be nice but to assemble a collection from picking in the wild is more of what I concentrate on. It a nice set if all the conditions of quality are still there. I would buy the Martins though for that price

Buying a full set would be nice but to assemble a collection from picking in the wild is more of what I concentrate on. It a nice set if all the conditions of quality are still there. I would buy the Martins though for that price

Yea, true on picking from the wild, but, all my known sources are picked over unless I take overnight trips. Thrift shops/estate sales etc is hit or miss, at least in my location. Yea, I am considering the Martins. I have a well used Griswold #8. A few more Griswolds and some Martins would round out my collection well enough for me.

A few more Griswolds and some Martins would round out my collection well enough for me.

Hahaha... Until you spot a yard sale with some iron, a Craigslist ad that looks "interesting", or a neighbor who is getting rid of some rusty skillets.
To me, I would say that half of the fun of collecting is the hunt, and a big chunk of the fun is finding out what that cruddy, rusty iron looks like when it's cleaned and seasoned.

Your other comment.
Yea, true on picking from the wild, but, all my known sources are picked over unless I take overnight trips. Thrift shops/estate sales etc is hit or miss, at least in my location.
Join the club... Persistence pays off. All of those places, thrift stores, yard/estate sales, flea markets, etc. will pay off if you go often enough. I know that people have actual, real lives to live, but if you're not there, someone else is finding what you're missing out on. (Spoken like a true hoarder right!?) :frown: haha. I can consistently go out any weekend of the year, hit up enough places and come home with something at the price I wanted to pay. I'm on the West Coast, and iron is fairly scarce here. Just ask Bonnie. Oh Wait!!! :shootself:

From the photos by the way, this looks like a very mixed set.

Just looking at the handles I see issues.
#3,4,6,5, not being the same style as #5,7,10
That would not be a deal breaker if it does not matter to you. They can all be SBL but still have different handle styles. They made the SBL in 3 style handles, early handle, Grooved handle and the late handle

I can only see the handles, you will need to look at the rest of the skillet.

The big thing to me is the condition of each skillet, not just as a pile. Take each skillet and look them over good. You need to look for fire/heat damage, #7 has a reddish tint to the handle. Rust or rust pitting or rust etching, #5, 8, 10. The tools that were used to clean each skillet. Looking at #6, I have questions.

But it will be up to you to look at the rest of the skillets, look for what others brought up, but also look for hair line cracks.

You do not need to walk away from this pile, just bring up all the issues and see if the seller will do better for you. Condition is everything.

Hahaha... Until you spot a yard sale with some iron, a Craigslist ad that looks "interesting", or a neighbor who is getting rid of some rusty skillets.
To me, I would say that half of the fun of collecting is the hunt, and a big chunk of the fun is finding out what that cruddy, rusty iron looks like when it's cleaned and seasoned.

Your other comment.

Join the club... Persistence pays off. All of those places, thrift stores, yard/estate sales, flea markets, etc. will pay off if you go often enough. I know that people have actual, real lives to live, but if you're not there, someone else is finding what you're missing out on. (Spoken like a true hoarder right!?) :frown: haha. I can consistently go out any weekend of the year, hit up enough places and come home with something at the price I wanted to pay. I'm on the West Coast, and iron is fairly scarce here. Just ask Bonnie. Oh Wait!!! :shootself:

From the photos by the way, this looks like a very mixed set.

Yea....I know.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Just looking at the handles I see issues.
#3,4,6,5, not being the same style as #5,7,10
That would not be a deal breaker if it does not matter to you. They can all be SBL but still have different handle styles. They made the SBL in 3 style handles, early handle, Grooved handle and the late handle

I can only see the handles, you will need to look at the rest of the skillet.

The big thing to me is the condition of each skillet, not just as a pile. Take each skillet and look them over good. You need to look for fire/heat damage, #7 has a reddish tint to the handle. Rust or rust pitting or rust etching, #5, 8, 10. The tools that were used to clean each skillet. Looking at #6, I have questions.

But it will be up to you to look at the rest of the skillets, look for what others brought up, but also look for hair line cracks.

You do not need to walk away from this pile, just bring up all the issues and see if the seller will do better for you. Condition is everything.

Thanks JeffreyR; I will look at them closely. Yes, I noticed the handle styles vary, but not a issue to me. As you mentioned look for fire/heat damage, cracks/warpage, et al. To me, rust is a judgement call. I will to just pick one or two if seller is willing to sell individual pieces.

Back