Chip of the old block

DL_Harris

So my daughter was home from college for spring break. She's not been home for a while so she'd only heard about my new love affair with CI. Her first morning home she was about to make a fried egg for her bagel in one of our non stick pans. I stopped her and told her to use "Irene" (my IRON pan). I showed her how to be patient while it warmed up, told her about the virtues of butter vs olive oil for eggs, and that she should always salt and pepper the pan before adding the egg. She had that look like I've lost my mind. Anyway, the egg came out browned and perfect. I showed her how to simply wipe the pan with a paper towel and let cool. Then I got her. She started to eat the egg and was floored. Said it's the best egg she'd ever eaten. She ate an egg out of the pan every morning while home. I told her I would buy her one, season it properly and bring it to her in a week or so. She was eggstatic!

That's good stuff. I am lucky enough to have a 21 year old daughter that loves "the hunt" almost as much as I do. We spend a lot of quality time together going to auctions, yard sales, estate sales, and fleamarkets. It's nice to have something to share with your kids.

DL, be careful. As I posted here before, my daughter took one of my skillets when she moved away. When she came home for Christmas, she relieved me of every BSR that I had. Now she sends me pics of every meal she cooks in them.

What's the bit about salt and peppering the pan? Never heard of that, and can't see what difference it might make.

I've heard this before.. I'm thinking it's like throwing a bag of marbles on the floor. It gives the eggs something to slide around on if your pan isn't as non-stick as you'd like it to be :?:

Or perhaps it's akin to the axiom that "fat carries the flavor", and seasoning it rather than the food directly has its advantages.

Back