CI Displayed In Your Kitchen? Got a Pic?

If I may give this thread a bump...

One of the things I've been interested in seeing since joining is the collections and displays y'all have put together. I see postings of individual acquisitions, but it took some searching to finally find this thread linked in a post from another search result.

Many of the displays in this thread look quite nice, thanks!

Doug, I don't know what your philosophy on sticky threads is - is it worth considering making this thread, or one like it, a sticky where people can post pics of their collections / displays and keep it easy to find, not disappear into thread oblivion?

There was some nice inspiration on this thread...

I've had a storage problem, not too much extra room in my kitchen cabinets and even though I could cram stuff in there, I don't want to have to take out six pieces to get to the seventh... And there really isn't any place in the kitchen to hang the stuff without it being awkward...

But, I do have a laundry room right behind the kitchen. It's pretty well utilized, but not maximized... So, the past couple of weekends I've spread out about 3 hours total effort and made me some storage space.

From outside the room...

It's not tight in there but it is difficult to get far enough away to take a complete pic with a smartphone camera. Here's my best shot...

Concerned about the weight, I used 1/4" tempered wood pegboard that's supposed to be 3X stronger than regular pegboard. And I used twice the density of anchors, about every foot instead of every 2'. That means a 2'x4' panel gets 15 anchors instead of 6... Hangars are screw-locked Durahooks.

Gives me a little room to grow, and I have space to add another panel. I'm happy with it.

Not sure the laundry room is an ideal place to store cast iron. There is a lot of moisture in there when those machines are in use even if the dryer is well ventilated.
But....If that's all the space you have available then use it well. Nice collection.

Not sure the laundry room is an ideal place to store cast iron. There is a lot of moisture in there when those machines are in use even if the dryer is well ventilated.
But....If that's all the space you have available then use it well. Nice collection.

Thanks.

Yes, humidity was one of the factors I considered. There's no sink in there, but the washing machine is enough. But we do typically keep the door open, even while the machines are running.

A related concern is The Wife hang-dries some of her clothes, hangs it from the shelf rail above that space (you might see some clothes hangars in one of those pics). She's afraid her clothes will "get greasy" coming in contact with my CI. But I spec'd it out so there's enough clearance that they can share the space without contact, and the more-protruding items are stored lower, below where her clothes would hang. And my CI is not "greasy"; some pieces may appear glossy but that's dry seasoning. I should have more concern than she, if her clothes drip on my stuff...

But ultimately I concluded that if my CI is properly seasoned it can handle a little humidity. It's not just humidity, clothes lint can make that room dustier than average. All my pieces are users so I think with proper regular use and maintenance it should be fine. Time will tell; I'll keep an eye on it...

Eric, I see you have a wall outlet. A small, quiet electric fan mounted on the wall above your skillets facing out the top half of the door would really even out the humidity on wash day. A timer wouldn’t hurt. Just a thought.

Hilditch

Eric that looks like it will work out nicely for you. I myself have very little room like some of the others here. I have a couple of ideas for something a little smaller but still accessible for users. A lot of good ideas posted here on this thread.

Here's mine. Nothing fancy. Just pans on a wall.

DJfPw3W.jpg

I have a few more, but I keep them in the cabinet.

Eric, I see you have a wall outlet. A small, quiet electric fan mounted on the wall above your skillets facing out the top half of the door would really even out the humidity on wash day. A timer wouldn’t hurt. Just a thought.

Hilditch

Hilditch - your post reminded me that the room has a built-in ventilation fan, like what you'd have in a bathroom. We never use it so I forgot about it. She hung some laundry yesterday evening so I ran the fan overnight. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks all for the ideas. Hopefully this thread becomes a sticky worthy post.
Dave you have some ones I'd like to add to my cooking workout.

M. Osborne I like your bunt pan, and one for the list of hope I find cheap:)

M Osborne, nice G. F. Filley gem pan collection! You have a few pieces that I have been trying to get but whenever I find them the price point stops me. Did you find them in the wild?

Todd, sadly I only found one of the Filleys in the wild the #1, this started the obsession to complete the set. It took about five years but I have all of the gem pans now. The #7 was easily the most difficult to find.

I think I saw that sheep mold somewhere last week. Now I can't remember where I saw it. I stopped in several stores during my lunch breaks ... and in several towns. Ugh.

Back