Interesting marking

This is an unmarked Wagner #6 I picked up at a local flea market type mall. Pretty cruddy and hoped for a strike. Cleaned up well, but found some pitting both inside and outside. For $5.00, not a budget breaker. Still, make a good saute pan for veggies and such. One interesting thing is where the handle meets the body, a perfect cast of a screw head.

Attachments

• DSCN5705.jpg
    DSCN5705.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN5706.jpg
    DSCN5706.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 52
The screwhead marks seem to be confined to post-automation era pieces. The typically espoused theory is that they were something to do with quality control, a device to mark suspected defect-producing patterns. More likely though, would be a device to indicate a particular production line or work shift.

Yes, I looked at it and studied it and thought, "That couldn't just be an accident." It is so perfectly placed. Your explanation makes perfect sense, though. Management would know exact date and time.

My 2 cents worth on an interesting marking…
I've got a BSR chicken pan with a phillips head screw mark by the handle. Hopefully, there'll be an attached picture.

Attachments

• IMG_6395.jpg
    IMG_6395.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 30
My most recently acquired CI skillet also has this mark. It has an inset solid heat ring and reads 12 7/16 IN. with the screw head mark underneath and a 10 under that. All of it is written at 6 o'clock. I am assuming it's a BSR?

Yes. If not marked Made In USA, it is assumed to be from the mid to late 1950s.

It is not marked made in the USA. I paid 25$ for this one at an antique store and I feel it was worth it. It's my new favorite fried chicken pan.

Back