Cleaning/seasoning These Waffle Iron Paddles

No secret....Just use a long bristle wire brush and remove as much grime/rust as possible. Attached is a photo of one I just seasoned a few weeks back. Once clean use a soft bristle tooth brush to get your seasoning evenly coated between the coils as much as possible. I have an air compressor that I use to blow as much of the seasoning oil out of the coils so that it doesn't puddle while in the oven leaving a baked on sticky finish at the bottom side of the coils.
The coils will come off (difficult at best most times) but I've found it easier to just leave in place and scrub away as much stuff as you can.
Good luck.

MD,

Thanks. It is a help. Also going to see whether I can find pipe cleaners to get into some of the small spaces.

Wally

I just did a set of heart and star paddles with that style handle (first ones I've ever had with that style coil handle)... I removed them. They were a little rusty but it looked like they had been chrome at one point... so I soaked them in a cup of evaporust overnight, took them out and washed them off, then shined them up with fine steel wool and some chrome polish.

D,

Looks very nice. How difficult was it to remove the coils?

not bad. I couldn't just twist them by hand. I started them moving by putting a nail set against the end of the spring and hit it a few times... after about a quarter turn of doing that to slowly get it moving I was able to just twist it off the rest of the way.

Channel lock pliers on the inside end of the coil works good also. I used some old thin shoe tongue to keep from marking the coils.

Back