Hammered single-notch Lodge #3

Probably no more rare than other Lodge 1-notch hammered. I have a #5 and a #8.

Roger that. I'd never seen a hammered Lodge ... other than the pictures in the section you have about hammered finishes.

Here are some pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/4NfEP

It was only $7 but I was worried about a couple of spots on the cooking surface. One seemed to be a fairly big rough spot.

Haha! I couldn't resist. I went back in the way home that day and bought it. It spent last night in the lye and today in the e-tank (not that it needed it. It came out of the lye amazingly clean. It's in the oven now. I'll post some pictures in the morning. The cooking surface Has some problems, but the hammered sides and handle are perfect. This one might end up hanging on the wall just lookin' purty. It's definitely a work of art. It makes me want more hammered pieces, ha!

I have a #3 like that one. The hammered surfaces are absolutely gorgeous. The cooking surface on the other hand, while mostly very smooth, has a rough area a little off center much like yours. My spot looks a lot like the casting flaws I often see on the cooking surface bottom gated skillets and griddles.

Here is the final product ...

The bottom is pretty good and sides are prefect ...

bsIfbGT.jpg

HqQCgOg.jpg

The cooking surface on the other hand ... Ugh.

LFgNIUl.jpg

s2bZx64.jpg

Oh well, it will look nice hanging on the wall! HA!

This is where I'd put a thin coat of lard on the cooking surface, give it an hour at 480 - 500° cooking surface up. Then lightly smooth with steel wool as/if needed and cook in it a few times.

If you are not pleased you can always clean the rest of the cooking surface only with Brillo and add another coat of seasoning.

Hilditch

Back