Dating Waffle Irons Lots of Pictures No Dates

Melonee D

Waffle irons

For skillets certain TM were used for certain time periods, right?

Does the same apply to waffle irons?

Yes, those with stylized logos and c/ns are later than those with block letter TMs and no c/ns.

So if I found a waffle iron with a slanted logo and slant was used in 1909 to 1929 on a skillet, can I apply that same information to a waffle iron? Has anyone put a list together for waffle irons like the one for skillets?

Changing markings on skillets was more often a relatively simpler matter of filling in obsolete marks and inscribing new ones. Waffle iron patterns such as Griswold's with raised markings were more likely changed only as a result of some physical design change requiring an entirely new pattern, and the logos brought in line with whatever was current at the time. Bear in mind that TM changes did not occur for the entire product line all at once. The slant logo on some pieces continued perhaps years after other parts of the line had been switched to block, and some products with lids even having different TMs on lid and pan.

Griswold, I have found a 151 waffle iron and have seen pictures of another but they are not the same, and I do not know which is real. I have not found any pictures in any of the books of the 151, one has dates and one does not. Is there a chart like the skillets that show logos and manufacture dates for different plates?

There is a pattern 151 and a 151N for the #8 waffle iron, the latter having the coil handles with no eyebolt down the center. The 151 and other sizes in this pattern group are the latest of the regular Griswold waffle irons, ca. 1930s. There is no chart of definite dates of manufacture.

Related: http://www.castironcollector.com/waffle.php

So if one says patent applied for and another says has a patent date and another has that date removed this could just be another revision of the same casting? Are they all good castings and not just laziness by a re-production person

The first assumption about most differences in similar pieces should not necessarily be that a reproduction is involved. Reproductions are rarely pieces requiring intricate castings and applied handles, like waffle irons. The 7-11-22 patent refers to the type of coil handle on the 151 pattern. The 151N does not have it because its handle is different from the patent.

Thank you. You are a wealth of information. So if because the amount of detail on a casting makes it less likely it is faked, as long as I'm careful and get good detail on the waffle irons there is a possibility there could be at least 3 versions of the 151 paddles?

So if because the amount of detail on a casting makes it less likely it is faked, as long as I'm careful and get good detail on the waffle irons there is a possibility there could be at least 3 versions of the 151 paddles?
The three versions you mention above are all there should be. If fakes exist, they should be patently (no pun intended) obvious.

Back