Chicken in milk

SpurgeonH

Chicken, cooked in milk, in the chicken fryer.

Collard greens in my old the no-name Dutch Oven (never have figured out what it is and it doesn't have a lid.)

Mashed taters.

That's some good eatin' right there.

https://imgur.com/a/y1o4s

y1o4s

A little bit of a new twist for me. Do tell more on how or more about how the chicken was done in milk. My first thought was some kind of SOS,,
aka **** on a shingle. It didn't have that creamy milk look. Did you Start off with a little milk and low and slow to render the bird for a rich broth? I do like to do chicken new and different ways.

Steve,

Sounds like milk braising. I normally hear about that done with pork but milk-braised chicken is a thing, too.

Personally I've never tried doing it, it's difficult keeping milk from curdling if it gets too hot. I use heavy cream instead of half & half for cream sauces for this reason. I use half & half for some awesome oyster stew but it's very tricky to do without it breaking.

Interested in Spurgeon's answer to Steven's question.

Here is a link to the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/chicken-in-milk-recipe.html

I used a whole stick of cinnamon. Not sure why. At the time I figured my chicken weighed almost five pounds, so why not? Ha! My wife said it was fine, but next time I'll try the half stick and see how that works out. Also, I only used two garlic cloves. I usually leave the garlic out of a recipe, but the folks in here have convinced my to try cutting the garlic in half (in this case I used 1/3 the recommended amount ... baby steps! Ha!)

Also, I cooked it in my chicken fryer with the lid on for the first hour and ten minutes or so, and removed the lid for the last 30 minutes. Not sure if that made a big difference one way or the other.

Hey, Spurgeon, that looks like a good dinner! Hope the garlic didn't put you off it, but starting with a little works for me. By the bye, my mom used to bake pork chops in milk. Tasty, but I can't begin to remember how she did it--that was a LONG time ago.:grin:

Thanks for the link to the recipe. I need to give that a try this fall.

When it comes to fresh garlic and not use to the strong flavor, baby steps are a great way to start. Myself and one girlfriend use it so often we both could hardly taste It in a dish and always added more. I put in macaroni salad and deviled eggs to name a few.

Steve,

One girlfriend? How many do you have? Or, do you mean you use so much garlic you've run all of the others off, and you are down to just one girlfriend? ;)

SpurgeonH
I'm Inbetween GF's at the moment, Life got complicated. In my younger days I juggled three for a short time. Now I can't remember what I did yesterday :) now I'm more into sticking with one and the right one. I could write half a book on what type of girls not to date. I've always had a thing for redheads but I think their the craziest of the bunch:)

Looking forward to more upcoming dinner pictures in the future.

Steve,

Back