Is a sticky cooking surface after seasoning normal?

If you put seasoning on too thick (easy to do), yes. Wipe it on with a paper towel or whatever, but wipe it off with a terry cotton towel to really leave just the thinnest layer possible.

The sticky seasoning that is on there now will not liquify from heating, but instead get stickier and harder. I'm assuming it looks uneven, too?

The usual cleaning methods. It shouldn't take much. It's just been stripped and seasoned, yes? What did you use on it?

I didn't strip this one. It was nice with no build up. I washed it with real hot water and dish soap, then seasoned it. The cooking surface has a dull finish. Maybe I need to strip it with oven cleaner, then season it.

Yeah, you should start over. That way you'll know exactly what is, and more importantly, what isn't on there. If I'm going to use a pan myself, I always strip it and start over, no matter how good it looks. Fortunately, most of the time it looks terrible, so I don't feel so bad.

"The waiting is the hardest part." - Tom Petty.

Seriously, though, you now have an opportunity to try your hand at a variety of seasoning oils. You can use tried-and-true old Crisco, or, if you have a Whole Foods nearby, they sell a house brand refined grapeseed oil that's excellent for an initial seasoning. It has a 450* smoke point, so you can crank the pan up in the oven to 500 beforehand (helps darken the iron), apply a thin coat (wipe it off real good), and then put it back in the oven for a bit before letting it cool.

If it's already been cleaned and just initial seasoned, it should only take a day. Maybe less.

Note: unrefined grapeseed oil has a much lower smoke point.

After being stripped and cleaned it came out great. It seasoned good and now has a non stick surface. Thanks for your help Doug. I have learned a lot from this website and from you. In the future I will make better decisions in my cast iron buying, and cast iron care. :D

Back