Bought a new/old stock #8 cast iron skillet

Phil N.

Bought a new old stock #8 cast iron skillet. It has an 8 on the 6 position inside of a diamond with a capital E next to it. It has an outer heat ring. It looks like bare cast iron, but it also has a silver white crust on the outside wall. I was wondering what it might be. haven't received it yet, but when I do I will post a picture of it. ;)

NOS? Does it have a label, or does it just look unused? Those "number in diamond" have the characteristics of later Favorites, but could also be Chicago Hardware Foundry, who bought Favorite's patterns and tooling when they went out of business, so they could be the unmarked pieces of either maker. Crust? Could it be enameled, perhaps?

After a brief search, I'm looking at what surely must be the ended auction. Unfortunately, that is not NOS. That's build-up from usage, the whiteness just being how crud sometimes looks. If it's not cracked (I don't see any in the magnified close-ups) or warped, it should clean up easily and be a fine user. It doesn't appear to have been abused, nor does it appear pitted. The selling price, IMO, would be OK if not for having to pay to have it shipped.

Shipping on Ebay is high. I didn't think it look unused, but I didn't know. I paid 15.00 for it. I just needed to replace an old one that my mother used.

I believe I bought a boat anchor. The #8 wobbles. The wobble is in the center. Anyway to correct this? It is even nastier than the picture. :oops:

Back