Warped Pan Solutions?

Karl R

I did read in the damages section of the site that warping is irreversible. But I’m stubborn and I was wondering if anyone had any luck reversing warping. I saw a guy on YouTube grinding it flat... I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit. I feel like heating it up and hitting it with a mallet and a block of wood sounds logical in theory... but may end up cracking it.

This is what can happen when a cast iron pan, warped or not, receives a sharp blow.

Like a piece of glass... shattered. I figured because it was able to warp, maybe it was malleable enough to be bent back.

Saw a pic someone posted of a spatula they cut out of a cracked pan that was awesome enough to have me on the lookout for a cheap cracked cast iron pan. (Lots of examples on Etsy).

I have one thats just a little warped that I use to cook over open fires.

I have a Wagner DO thats a spinner. I tested it by making up some boiled noodles and watching the bubbles form as the water heated. It was even (on gas). So I'll ignore it. Should it become a problem I'll just grind some off the center to flatten it. Doing this (without a mill) is not easy. I don't think a slight thinness in the center will matter, that's where my stove isn't hot.

Cast iron is not malleable. That would be wrought iron. Different stuff.

Most of my CI is level, but I have a lot that are spinners or a rocker, but they cook just fine. I hold onto the handle when Im stirring food anyways. Unless you are a collector for the money ( Im not ) just use it or lose it. Not sure about the griding, but old CI is thin as it is, lol.....Id hate to hit her with a grinder, my 2 cents.

Yeah I have a couple of skillets that are spinners on dead flat surfaces, but don't move at all - not even a wobble - on my gas stove. Great users, so I just don't worry about the warp. If I use them in the oven for bacon or cornbread, who cares if they spin or wobble as I just put them in and then leave them in place.

Back