Help, I don't what I'm I doing wrong?

Serge_G

I had a lid of a 12" Dutch Oven soaking in my electrolysis bath for over 24 hours at 6amp. Most of the stuff came off except for some black spots, which I think will probably blend in once I start seasoning it on my patio barbeque.

But first, I pull the lid out of the solution, I wiped it down, scrub it with a wire brush and dried with some paper towel, and left it for about 15 minutes on the counter in the laundry room (where I rinse stuff). I came back and it appears to have a light coat of rust on the surface of the lid, what happened? Do I put it back for another few hours or just start seasoning it and hope for the best. The DO is not the best quality, it's some Asian import that has a small "x" next to the 12" on the lid.

Any info will come in handy.

It's normal and called flash rust.

See also: http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php

So, after I posted my last post, I threw it back in the solution. Now that I've seen your post , I'll start the oven and set it for 200 and then pull it out dry it out with paper towels again and then throw it in oven to dry, then take it to the barbeque and start the real seasoning (I've been banned from using the stove to season my cast iron).
Thanks.

Back