Junk or treasure?

I picked up a 3 footed hearth pan today. It's in rough condition, but it looks very old and pretty cool--just like me. I didn't mind spending a few bucks on it even if it has no collector value.

It has a gate mark, and the unique thing is the round handle. I don't have that much experience, but I have not seen a handle like this before. Maybe there was once a wooden handle over the iron?

I am trying to decide if I am going to clean it up or display it as is. Seems like cleaning it up would destroy its "character," which may be its main (or only) value.

I am correct that it has little value otherwise, or can I put this on Ebay and retire to the Hamptons?

http://imgur.com/a/TfH6b

the pan looks very old by the gate mark. Does the handle look like it was welded on or part of the cast? If welded on, maybe a later addition to the pan.

The handle appears to be what spider skillet collectors call a "rat tail" or "opossum tail". Traits of an older spider skillet. The "D" shape of the the three legs is an early trait. To best of my guessing knowledge..... pre 1880's. The upside down skillet handle is post 1800's as is the round legs with a gate mark. Trying to date these spider skillets is equal to trying to date an old horse shoe. Your example is in bad shape, deep pitted. Looks like it was in or on the ground for years. Somewhere between junk and treasure.

MaxS: Looks like the handle is part of the cast.

W. Hilditch: My thought is to leave it like it is as well. It obviously can't be restored to original or useable condition, so I am going to leave it alone and treat it as an artifact.

Thanks to all for the input.

I think it's a cool pan. I kinda got a thing for old gated/legged cookware. But I don't know if I could leave it as-is. I'm not saying that I would try to strip it and season. Maybe scrub it down, try to remove some of the rust and wipe it with a little oil. Not to mention that my wife wouldn't let me display it in the house all rusty.

MaxS: Looks like the handle is part of the cast.

W. Hilditch: My thought is to leave it like it is as well. It obviously can't be restored to original or useable condition, so I am going to leave it alone and treat it as an artifact.

Thanks to all for the input.
You can always restore it later if you wish, but it takes a century or more to put it back to where it is.

Back