A restoration and an aquisition

A restoration and a new project today...

I can't pass up any gate marked piece if it is reasonably priced. I got this #8 unmarked griddle for $7 from an antique shop that had several pieces of CI and had no idea what was valuable and what was not. His highest priced piece was a Wagner 1891 with the seasoning instructions imprinted on it because he thought it actually was from 1891. This cleaned up pretty nicely. There are some manufacturing defects on the cooking surface, but nothing major. I might even make some pancakes on it.

I got the second piece at a community yard sale this morning. A guy had a bunch of tools and some other assorted odds and ends. I thought all the tools were very over priced. He had 2 pieces of CI, this one and a post-1960 unmarked Wagner (I think) that someone had restored poorly. The Wagner was on his table and marked $25. This piece was laying on the ground. I asked how much he wanted for it, and he said three bucks. Sold. It's big and heavy, but I think it will clean up nicely. And it's a piece I will actually use if it does.

http://imgur.com/a/XVYlZ

Steve, I have been collecting and (sometimes) selling collectibles for many years, and I am STILL amazed at what people dump off! That round griddle is a real gem--it must have been waiting for you! Have fun with it; griddles can be very versatile utensils, and it doesn't hurt that this one is actually an "antique". The rectangular one is interesting--I swear I saw something about handle shape as well as the shape of the griddle in dating them--anyone else? Or did I imagine it all!? Anyway, thank you for rescuing it! (I bet somewhere down the road, that seller will gripe about how that cast iron stuff is supposed to be so valuable, but only old ugly stuff sold for him!)

Back