Cooking with the Ultimate Turkey Roaster.

Serge_G

Hi
I just acquired the Camp Chef Ultimate Turkey Roaster. It is in a good condition. Their are a few video on cooking a turkey over the camp stove but nothing regarding using briquettes. Has anyone try to cook with briquettes using that particular CI device? I would love to try it! I can build some kind of trivet in order to put the coals under, but what about the top, I can not find information on it? The trivet that I built in the past were two inches from the flat surface and putting the coals under it was ideal.
Any advice would be welcomed

I have cooked several turkeys in my dutch oven. I have never used that particular oven, but you are on the right track. Lodge sells what they call a Camp Oven lid holder. It sits about 2" high. I use it for my dutch ovens that don't have legs, in order to use them outside with coals.

Start plenty of coals, and get cooking. Then about one hour later, start another batch of coals, as one batch is not enough to cook an entire bird. Usually takes me between 2:45 and 3 hours to cook. Usually I use about 7.5 lbs of charcoal.

Let us know how it turns out. If I am cooking for company, the week before I will cook a turkey, just to make sure that I have everything set up correctly. Then my wife has left overs, etc.

Bruce

Here are some pictures of the dutch oven, and the cooked turkey.

Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1988.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1989(2).jpg
    IMG_1989(2).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 29
Here are some pictures of the dutch oven, and the cooked turkey.

Bruce

Out of curiosity, what size camp oven is that? I've got a 14 that I'm wondering if it would fit a whole bird of not. Granted, I have many other things to figure out before I would try something like this, but I'm curious.

It is 20" across and 9" deep. There are no markings on it at all. I purchased two of them (and four 16" Lodge Camp Ovens) through an estate sale in Idaho.

A 14 deep oven might work. The depth is the problem for most Camp Ovens, as they just aren't deep enough for a whole turkey.

Bruce

It is 20" across and 9" deep. There are no markings on it at all. I purchased two of them (and four 16" Lodge Camp Ovens) through an estate sale in Idaho.

A 14 deep oven might work. The depth is the problem for most Camp Ovens, as they just aren't deep enough for a whole turkey.

Bruce

Gotcha. I'll have to dig mine out and look at it sometime...it's still in the "to be cleaned" pile. From what I remember, though, I don't think it is that deep. Thanks for letting me know!

Like you Bruce, I also cooked a couple of Turkeys in regular camp Dutch Ovens. The first was done in a 14 “ if I recall it a 10 lbs. and it took a little more than 1 hour. I could not believe it, I had to poke it several times with a thermometer at different places to verify that it was done. This past year I did something different bought the Ultimate Dutch Oven, which is also a 14 inch but with a cone in the center just like it’s predecessor . Again cooked a 11 lbs bird in 75 minutes, with briquettes.
I’ll also share what I found about this roaster. With the right heat you allow 5 minutes of cooking time per pound.
For those who use their 14 incher, I would cover the top of the bird with aluminum foil before putting the lid on. Remember you’re loading the lid with coals and it will get hot….

Back