Using your gas grill as opposed to the house range

Serge_G

There are great articles and procedures to season your CI on this forum, but my dilemma is a spouse that says that "you got to find a better way to season your stuff and not in my oven...not in my house, it smells".
That leaves me with my gas barbecue. Is there procedures regarding seasoning properly some CI in your barbecue? I could probably bring it to 600° with the 3 burners going. Any advice and location of a procedure(s) would be greatly appreciated.
I'm sure that I am not alone, I have a 3 pieces that I have to put the E-bath and season them, or try to!

thanks

Temperature that high is not required. All you need do is follow the oven method outlined on the seasoning page, but using your grill instead.

I've had mixed results with the grill because the temperature on the gauge isn't necessarily the same as the temperature at the skillet. I get better results by periodically popping the lid and getting a quick reading with an IR thermometer, then adjust the burners accordingly to keep the pans from being too hot or cold. Also, don't try to cram too much in there. Parts of pans near the edges of the grill tend to stay too cold and thus get sticky. Because of the amount of babysitting the grill requires I prefer using the oven when the wife isn't home.

I've had good luck seasoning on the grill. My last three came out super black and even. On one of them, the handle had two darker spots like grill marks, but it isn't very noticeable and didn't hurt anything. Maybe I should have cleaned the grill more thoroughly before seasoning.

Understandably, the BBQ looses a ton of heat when opening the lid, and takes some time to recover. I ended up trusting the temp gauge on the outside and had no problem keeping it at 450.

My wife said the same thing,so I bought a L P gas stove for 75.00 put it on my carport for seasoning and cooking. My wife is happy and the glass top stove is too!

I started using the grill to season this summer. The ac was working hard enough with the summer heat, didn't need to add the oven heat also. I have had very good results but you do have to tend to it a bit more trying to regulate the temps.

I started using the grill to season this summer. The ac was working hard enough with the summer heat, didn't need to add the oven heat also. I have had very good results but you do have to tend to it a bit more trying to regulate the temps.
I'm guessing that a pizza stone on the grill would help to even out the heat.

I'm guessing that a pizza stone on the grill would help to even out the heat.

I wouldn't recommend unglazed quarry tiles for cooking on (although some people do), but the pizza stone idea has me thinking maybe they'd be useful for seasoning pans. You could cover the entire grill surface and have a few extras on hand in case of breakage for less than $15.

I wouldn't recommend unglazed quarry tiles for cooking on (although some people do), but the pizza stone idea has me thinking maybe they'd be useful for seasoning pans. You could cover the entire grill surface and have a few extras on hand in case of breakage for less than $15.
If you have hesitation about unglazed quarry tiles, you could use firebrick instead.

Or, for that matter... a cast iron griddle, I'd think!!!

I vote for the cast iron griddle - if you want to season it that is. A manufactured pizza stone or tile or firebrick are very poor conductors of heat. Even worse than cast iron. One would only get even temperatures after an extended period of time with an even heating source or the air temp around the item being a somewhat even temperature.

If you question this put a bit of butter on the handle of a skillet as well as in it. Put it on a stove burner and try to get the handle smoking. Now try it in the oven at 425°.

Find the setting that will keep the air between 400° and 450° in the grill, put 1 piece in the middle and go have a few beers. No more smoke? Turn it down a little for 1 more beer and then turn it off & let it cool in the grill. Micro-management or looking at it won't help a thing. Let the hot air do the work.

Hilditch

Back