Iron Mountain #5? HELP!

Hi everyone, I just joined this site and I'm looking forward to learning more about cast iron cookware! I have this #5 unmarked skillet and I'm very curious to learn who made it. The italic 5 indicates an Iron Mountain Griswold no. 5, and I've learned though this site that the Iron Mountain 5 had the "normal" handle, but the number would have been at the top and a 3 digit number would be where my #5 is located. Anyone out there familiar with this? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• skillet 5 A.jpg
    skillet 5 A.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 35
  • skillet 5 B.jpg
    skillet 5 B.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 24
Iron Mountain would necessarily have a heat ring and a pattern number. The handle on the IM #5s are not considered normal in style, but they do differ from the handles of the rest of the IM skillets by the shape of the hole in them. See: https://www.castironcollector.com/ironmountain.php

There are unmarked smooth bottom skillets with handles somewhat similar to yours that were made by Birdsboro, but its markings are not consistent with theirs.

Some also might consider it an unusual BSR (typically only BSR chicken fryers were smooth bottomed), as there are some pans seen that seem to indicate they did at some point pre-automation produce a few sizes. Or they could just be pans someone made using modified BSR pans to make their own patterns.

Back