Sad Iron Restoring...

SeanD

I was wondering if you can strip a sad iron with easy off or another method? Im assuming you can, due to the fact its cast iron. Any ideas?

I've totally stripped and seasoned sad irons (3 total, 2 without handles). Dunked them in the lye bath, got the crud off and seasoned them in the oven like they were pans. Worked out lovely.

Only notable thing I found is they don't seem to get quite as hot as the pans do (I can feel the heat from pans when I'm seasoning them - 200 degrees for 20 mins - but the sad irons seemed "colder" than pans in the same batch. Possibly from the density of the steel?)

Thanks for the replies. Ive just started to collect Sad Irons, but im sure ill run into a nice one thats not so nice at first, lol...I have Wapak # 2, 3, 5, and a wooden handle one.

For years I would pass over all irons, till one day I purchased a box lot of irons and tripled my money selling the whole lot. Last week 2 went into my eTank and are ready for the next step. So a question for the sad iron collectors, what do you do for a finish?

Same with me, I passed up a lot of them over the years. Then I just decided one day to start collecting them. I guess I just like the history of each one, and I know ill never use one, but I like em!

So a question for the sad iron collectors, what do you do for a finish? Paint, oil seasoned? Unless you are doing Japanning?

Im going to just use my regular Crisco. I dont really have one to clean right now, but Im on the lookout.

So that is 2 that do oil seasoning. No Painters out there?

One of these days I will have to play with some Japanning.

I have seen a few nice painted ones, but its just isnt my thing. Depends on the artist I guess? I just like them as they come.

Did Wapak make a #1 Sad Iron? Im pretty sure they did, but not for sure. I have a #2 and its SMALL...a number one would be like a toy or sales mans sample. Not sure if Wapak even had "salesmen"?

There are Wapak small sad irons 1-5, medium sad irons 6-9, an 18 pressing iron and a sleeve iron. They are described in pounds rather than by the number, e.g. an iron marked with a 6 is called a "6 lb. iron.".

Thanks for the information. I thought I saw a #1 on the internet one day, but wasnt sure. I have no clue why I collect them, I dont even know how to iron clothes, lol...but I like them anyways. Thanks again.

Back