New to Cast Iron Collecting

Michael Maas

Hi, My name is Mike. I'm new to cast iron collecting. Started just a few months ago. Have identified everything I've collected so far except for this one piece. I've scoured the internet and can't seem to find anything. It seems like a well made pan. Looks like it's machined on the inside, though it's slightly bowed in the center and would probably work better on a gas range than my flat top.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow the link below to view the pan before and after restoration. You'll probably have to copy and paste in your browser:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98377417@N07/9202343833/

It does have some characteristics reminiscent of a 3rd series Erie, but I'm not aware of any unmarked Erie. It could also be an unmarked Wagner, the characteristics dating it to around 1900-1930. It could also just be someone else of that general period who was making what appears to be a pretty nice skillet. Can't tell from the photos, does it have a distinct reinforced lip? It doesn't look like it, which would tend to make it a later design.

I think so. That's the extra strip of metal that bumps out and runs around the top, correct? If that's the case, then yes. And there's some very obvious vertical mill marks that run over those, circling the perimeter of the pan.

Another thing I noticed was the heat ring. It's not a defined ridge like I've seen on a lot of pans but rather curves up gradually before reaching the outside of the pan.

And lastly, the two dots beneath the nine. They have to stand for something, I suppose. Just not sure what.

If you think it would help, I could easily add some more photos, especially around the perimeter.

Thanks for your help, Doug. It's most appreciated!

Mike

Right, a distinctive reinforcement of the lip looks like a band. At that period of hollow ware making, the dots would have to be a pattern maker's mark. I did note what you are saying about how the bottom meets the heat ring, and tried to apply it to any maker I knew of, but not successfully. Later Favorite outside heat rings have a distinctive profile to them, but not quite the same as this one. Although I can't rule out Favorite as a possibility, either.

Back